Go Down

Topic: Diecimila: Programmer is not responding (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Jonas

Hi there,

I hope someone could help me out with this, as I'm growing incredibly frustrated. I bought my first Arduino Diecimila yesterday and it worked fine until noon today. I was merrily uploading programs when I got this error:

Code: [Select]

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I use Ubuntu 7.10 and as I said, everything worked perfectly at first (I just had to add myself to the "dialout" group in order to get access to the USB device).

Adding upload_verbose=true to the preferences.txt, I get:

Binary sketch size: 1114 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
hardware/tools/avrdude -Chardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm168 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyUSB1 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:/home/jonas/Desktop/arduino-0010/examples/Digital/Blink/applet/Blink.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 22 2007 at 13:15:12
        Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
        User configuration file is "/home/jonas/.avrduderc"
        User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/ttyUSB1
        Using Programmer      : stk500v1
        Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

dmesg outputs these lines maybe ten times:

[ 6242.072000] /build/buildd/linux-source-2.6.22-2.6.22/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: ftdi_set_termios FAILED to set databits/stopbits/parity
[ 6242.072000] /build/buildd/linux-source-2.6.22-2.6.22/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: ftdi_set_termios urb failed to set baudrate
[ 6242.072000] /build/buildd/linux-source-2.6.22-2.6.22/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: urb failed to clear flow control

I tried it on a Mac and the same thing happens. On an Arduino NG with the ATmega168, the same thing happens. However, an older Arduino with the ATmega8 works!

My Arduino worked as well, though! Please help me before I give up and go back to herding chickens....

Jonas

mem

If the USB serial connection works with another chip then I suspect the bootloader has been corrupted. This has happened on two of my chips (although the averdude error messages were a little different). I think the bootloader can get trashed if a bug in a sketch overwrites the wrong memory area on the chip.

It may be worth knocking together a parallel programmer and reburning the bootloader. That did the trick for me.

Jonas

Argh, I had hoped it wouldn't come to this... thanks though, if that is what it takes I'll throw together a programmer. Anyone have another idea?

Jonas

mem

Feb 02, 2008, 04:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 02, 2008, 04:17 pm by mem Reason: 1
Argh, I had hoped it wouldn't come to this... thanks though, if that is what it takes I'll throw together a programmer.

Jonas
Making a parallel programmer is a lot easier then herding chickens  ;).

good luck

Adilson Akashi

Did you try pressing reset button instead of waiting for Arduino to Auto-reset?
PCB Designer

Go Up