Go Down

Topic: Stepper Motor (Read 585 times) previous topic - next topic

gaulet33

Good Morning
My teacher gave me an Epson, MCM-1 Stepper motor with 6 wires. I haven't been able to find anything about that particular motor anywhere. Has anyone heard of or used this motor? really anything will be helpful.
Thanks

mnnashed

Hi,
It should be a Uni polar stepper motor. Two wire are for power and the other four for coils.

756E6C

Do you have an Ohmmeter to measure the resistance between wires?

Robin2

Apr 07, 2017, 10:15 pm Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 10:16 pm by Robin2
It should be a Uni polar stepper motor. Two wire are for power and the other four for coils.
I have never come across this notion before - can you explain.

@gaulet33
My expectation is that it is a motor that can operate either as Unipolar or Bipolar. I would expect each coil to have 3 connections - one in the centre and one at each end. This can b verified by measuring the resistance.

If I am correct it is probably easiest to treat it as a Bipolar motor by ignoring the connections to the coil centres.

As well as reporting the resistance measurements can you post a photo of the motor with something to indicate its size.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

gaulet33

Here's a picture. The six pin connector is something i haven't seen before either

Robin2

Image from Reply #4 so we don't have to download it. See this  Image Guide

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

Have you measured the resistances between the different wires?

...R

gaulet33

gaulet33

I measured the resistance and found the 2 center tap wires and the coil ends. I now know the sequence for clockwise and counter clockwise

Robin2

Glad to hear you have it working.

...R

gaulet33

well I wish. I'm super new to this and trying to find how to connect everything to the bread board and the code is extremely difficult. So far everything ive found is using 4 pins. So are they not using the center tap wires or are they using a 4 pin motor. I'm pretty frustrated. Any help woulkd be awesome.

Robin2

well I wish.
I suspected that - but your Reply #8 did not provide any information that I could use to help you.

I assume the two center-tap wires are NOT connected to each other. They must be separate for the motor to work in bipolar mode.

You did not tell us what resistance measurement you got.

What stepper motor driver are you using?

From a different perspective entirely, and because your motor is so small, I wonder would it work as a Unipolar motor if the two centre-tap wires are connected and you use a ULN2003 chip as a driver. Look up the many Arduino threads about 28BYJ stepper motors. (I don't have any of them myself).

...R

gaulet33

Sorry.
 they measured 1.2
and the coil ends are 2.4.

I used a battery to find out the pin sequence for clockwise and counter clockwise.

I read the forum you mentioned but i dont have that control chip. I have the l293d. From what i've gathered its easier to control with the chip but because its so small do i even need it? I'm really struggling with hooking everything so I havent even gotten to coding it yet.
The motor does work unipolar and bipolar. I just need it to make 4 or 5 revolutions clockwise and then counter clockwise the same.
thanks

Robin2

I suspect such small motors can only take a small current and if the coil resistance is only 2.4 ohms that means using a very low voltage unless you use a stepper driver that can limit the current to protect the motor.

When you say "The motor does work unipolar and bipolar" do you mean that you have actually got it to work? if so please post the code you used.

...R

VINTproYKT

Apr 28, 2017, 05:10 pm Last Edit: Apr 28, 2017, 06:38 pm by VINTproYKT
If you plan to extend apparatus, you may want to use external power supply connected to Arduino.

As Robin2 mentioned, you can try driver board based on ULN2003A, microchip that has 7 Darlington transistor keypairs, from which only 4 are being used for driving motor. I have brought mini red ULN2003A board as on picture, but green one is more popular AFAIK. Beware of choosing driver board from untrusted manufacturer.

I think that if you have also GND wire in your motor, you need to make some kind of jumpers: connect four coils and VCC into driver's jack, and GND must be connected to controller.

Driver board at the same time gets IN1-4 signals from controllers's digital pins, VCC from Vin and GND connected to GND.
I'm making CNC Flatbed Pen Plotter at the moment for my graduation project. I will appretiate any help on producing it.

Go Up