Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 10320 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

basically, it goes panel to disconnect to converter to machine. But, after commenting i did some more research and basically it is a bad idea to connect a cnc machine to a static phase converter because it not only affects torque, but also spindle speed, which, as you know is very important to a cnc machine.
what about a VFD?

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

travis_farmer

May 17, 2017, 10:57 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:01 pm by travis_farmer
thought i would post a few preliminary pictures of the CNC. it is still on the trailer as i get space ready for it (covered under a heavy duty tarp for now).

(edit: didn't let me attach, so i had to pop them on my server)

~Travis

Qdeathstar

I'm not too familiar with vfd's, but they guys at the CNCzone say you have to isolate the spindle from the rest of the machine/steppers. They seeemed unimpressed, but the same guy was pushing a particular phase converter as the only solution... and I know a rotary phase covertly will work, so consider the source...
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Qdeathstar

I'd also say worse case it like it's like you got $500 in scrap. Beefy.

travis_farmer

I have been puttering away at gutting out my camper to accept my big CNC. it will be snug, but it will fit inside. not sure yet if it will fit between the wheel humps, but i will measure that as soon as i get the other side exposed enough to run a tape measure.

~Travis

travis_farmer

it suddenly occurred to me, how am i going to get the CNC up onto the camper floor? the CNC is heavy, and the camper floor is a ways up. even if i jack the camper tongue way up, and settle the rear of the camper on the ground, i still have to lift it off the trailer it is perched on now. i mean, this CNC machine is quite heavy due to the all steel base frame. I could pull the CNC off the base frame to make it lighter, but it would risk tweaking the CNC.

this may take a little thought...
I still have some demo work left on the camper, so there is plenty of time to figure something out.

I don't suppose anybody has a forklift or crane, and lives in Maine, USA? ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

i plan to cut the hole in the side of my camper this weekend to move in the CNC router. with the exception of a window in the way, i plan to just frame the opening, then break out a reciprocating saw, and make a big hole :D
then i just have to make a set of doors to plug the hole.
I have some new stepper motors being shipped (arrives Tuesday). so, with luck permitting, by next weekend, i should have enough to make some preliminary CNC moves :D
I will be using my Makita RF1101 router, rather that the 3-phase spindle, simply because i only need a relay to control it. i still have to buy or make a mount for it though.

My mini-cnc has been a useful tool, in figuring out how to align a work-piece in reference to the CNC program. that and i plan to use it to laser burn a logo onto some of the work my father and i do.

oh, on my big CNC, i discovered several of the limit switches are apparently missing, but i happen to have lots of hall-effect sensors and strong magnets that i would like to use as non-mechanical limits. i have tested them, and they work pretty reliably. once i have a moving machine, i can test them for repeatability and accuracy. i may have to use mechanical limits if i don't like the error level.

Just an update, for those that may be following this project. :D

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Travis, if you need help I'm pretty good with autocad inventor for designing a mount...

Hall effect sensors have a lot more repeatability than a mechanical endstop.

travis_farmer

Travis, if you need help I'm pretty good with autocad inventor for designing a mount...

Hall effect sensors have a lot more repeatability than a mechanical endstop.
i found a source that sells one for a little over a hundred bucks, it is supposed to be strong and accurate. but i am not ready for it yet anyway. it is just on my ToDo list at the moment.

the CNC is in the camper! :D there is still a gaping hole in the wall, but i have it tarped for overnight, and it is sitting 90 degrees from the orientation i wanted, but i can spin it once i demo more of the camper guts. it is tight, but i am sure i can make it work.

there was a lot more rot in the camper walls than i thought, but i took most of it out to get the CNC door opening made. i can fix it later, once the camper is fully gutted out. I still have to make the doors to plug the big hole, too. i would have taken pictures, but i was far too exhausted at the end to even hold up a camera.

i still have a lot of work to do, but the heaviest grunt work is done, other than replacing the roofing material. but i have to re-structure the inside before i can climb up on the roof. just as long as i can get it done before winter. right now it most certainly cannot support any snow load.

so anyway, that is my progress so far.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Travis, maybe you could just build something over the camper instead of attaching it to the camper...

travis_farmer

Travis, maybe you could just build something over the camper instead of attaching it to the camper...
due to local regulations, it has to remain a temporary/mobile camper, or the property taxes would be increased. building something over the camper would qualify as a permanent structure. it would also be a lot more money than just building a new roof above the existing roof. i can get some commercial grade rubber roofing, and adhesive pretty cheap (comparatively). and it will help preserve the camper, so when i move, i can just hitch up and take it with me.

Believe me, i have thought of just building over the camper. i have even thought of building a second floor on the camper, but reality quickly shot that down ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

sometimes i have to wonder if i have taken too big a bite. my ideas seem to be far grander than what is possible with reality. it will cost me about a grand, give or take, to get my CNC camper up to shape. i have a CNC that could be making me money, but i will have to spend a bunch before i can either make a bunch, or make nothing. I have suspended all projects so i can use the "surplus" to fund my CNC.
I am seriously considering selling my motorcycle  :'( i really don't want to, but it may have to go.

On a positing note, the steppers for my CNC arrive tomorrow. i may be able to do a test run of the CNC at some point :D it will be great to see and hear it move, finally. perhaps it will inspire me to continue on.

I have a pre-booked job for my CNC already. :D a woman in the area, that i know, would like some sort of sign made.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

May 30, 2017, 01:04 am Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:07 am by Qdeathstar
What about a tarp. Not resting on the camper, but situated just over it at an angle. During the winter just put some heaters on top of the camper and it will keep the tarp above freezing so the snow will melt off, or, alternatively cause a really neat bon-fire ;)

travis_farmer

What about a tarp. Not resting on the camper, but situated just over it at an angle. During the winter just put some heaters on top of the camper and it will keep the tarp above freezing so the snow will melt off, or, alternatively cause a really neat bon-fire ;)
the neighbors are already questioning my sanity with the camper with a big hole, and some mystery piece of equipment. i can't imagine what a tarp for a tent over the camper would cause them to think ;)

my plan is to build a mild-slope hip-roof with 2 X 4 rafters, and 1/2" plywood sheathing. both are far stronger than the 1/2" thick rafters, and no plywood sheathing under the thin aluminum skin that it has right now. then the commercial grade rubber roof adhered directly to the plywood will make it far stronger than it currently is, by far. the rubber roof is about $200, plus about $125 for the adhesive, and a bunch for the plywood and rafters. i guess it is less than a grand, but i will be shoring up the walls with 2 X 4 studs, 2' oc. then the new isolation, and interior paneling, will likely come out to about a grand, to refurbish a 1988 camper. fortunately the steel frame is still in good shape, though the tires are a bit rough.

~Travis

Henry_Best

Will the camper's suspension take all that extra weight?

Go Up