Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 11605 times) previous topic - next topic

Qdeathstar

Travis, i write about you in my journal. I'll show you mines if you show me yours ;)

Are there actual moderator applications or did you just send a pm to one of the admin that never visit the forums?
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

Travis, i write about you in my journal. I'll show you mines if you show me yours ;)
i honestly don't know what to say to that...

Are there actual moderator applications or did you just send a pm to one of the admin that never visit the forums?
i posted it HERE.

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

travis_farmer

what exactly does this mean?

~Travis

travis_farmer

ok, there was a response, but it was gone before i could read it...

anyway,
I found a flaw with my Rpi. it is a PITA to use, as it needs a lot of extras to use, unless i have a pre-established program that runs headless. at least with my laptop and an arduino, i can setup most anywhere, and develop and debug, etc. aside from that, it seems to be powerful. it boots pretty quick.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

I deemed it a bar too low for arduinto forums.

travis_farmer

...ok
I was just confused by the post as i didn't know exactly what your intentions were in posting it.

~Travis

travis_farmer

anybody want to buy a 55-gallon drum full of my hopes and dreams?

travis_farmer

apparently not...

seems like i always set the bar too high for my dreams, only to watch them fly away without me.

I guess my current frustration is my Kenwood TH-28A 2M (Ham) radio. it stopped working, with no known reason. there is not RX, and no audio out (with squelch opened, or by pressing monitor), and no TX into a dummy load, through a meter. I have probed everything i can think of with my scope, and found no AF.

at least, that's the main frustration i feel like talking about.

I am not suicidal right now, but i do have an overwhelming feeling of being worthless.

~Travis

allanhurst

Over a b***dy broken bit of ekectronics??

Don't be daft.  It's not the end of the world.

Take it to bits and fix it. Or find someone who can.

Allan.

travis_farmer

at least, that's the main frustration i feel like talking about.
the broken bit of electronics is just the fuel, not the ignition.

~Travis

TomGeorge

Sep 25, 2017, 03:12 am Last Edit: Sep 25, 2017, 03:15 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
I guess my current frustration is my Kenwood TH-28A 2M (Ham) radio. it stopped working, with no known reason.
Sorry I cannot help you, BUT!!!!

I have seen that you have tried to help yourself with advice from the HR Forum.
GOOD.
You have described your problem.
GOOD.
You have taken advice.
GOOD.
You have a service manual.
EXCELLENT
You are trying to identify problem areas.
GREAT.
You have said you will try a mic/speaker ,when it arrives.
GREAT.

1) DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP because this highly complex and small device has malfunctioned.
2) DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP because you are not having any major success. This will be caused by the fact that it is  a highly complex and small device.

Here I am talking to you, you who has assembled an got operating a CNC machine in his van in his backyard!!
Maaateeeeee.. (I could put an expletive in here!!!!!   :) )
I wouldn't even try that, and I'm an engineer.

Look at your accomplishments.

You can only use the smarts you have (and you have lots of them) to do so much.
You admit to your disabilities, I tend to think if you acknowledge them, they are no longer disabilities.

This is where you need an "Elmer" who can provide some local technical support.

I have a suggestion with your Kenwood.
Get a note book or A4 page.
Put a line down the middle.
On the left write the problems with the radio, on the right write (pun intrnded) the possible faults.

Then investigate each, crossing them off as you go.

Do not be disappointed if your attempts do not find a solution, you have not failed, as you have used ALL your abilities and that is the best anyone can do.

I agree with @allanhurst
It would then be time to find a Radio Tech to help.

Look at my side bar on this post, most of my bench work is repairs, repairs of equipment that have no schematics, (cos the manufacturer wants the customer to spend, spend, spend on new updated gear when the old fails).

The repair success rate can be as high as 80% with equipment that is in popular use, eg temp controllers etc.

But as low as 0% with a one off bit of gear that you do all the basic checks to and component updating, (ie electro caps) and when you turn it back on you have not advanced to step 2, and not solved the problem.

Or identified the fault, but its obsolete or a new replacement is cheaper than new part.

I have a time/cost parameter in there to stop me too, but I don't like leaving a bit of gear unfixed.

Life goes on mate...

Tom..... :)    (I need a coffee..)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

travis_farmer

Thank you, and you are right of course.
I get hyper-emotional with high levels of frustration, and sometimes i need a push.

i have emailed Kenwood amateur radio support to see if they have any guidance with the list of symptoms i provided.

i have been looking for a local Elmer, though without a huge level of success. the most local ham club i have gotten any contact with happens to be a very inconvenient distance away. but i haven't stopped looking.

I will get started on the fault list right after work (after a cup of coffee).

in my research, i have narrowed worst-case to a blown AF amp, and possibly a blown RF amp module. the first is surface mount, and beyond my solder/desolder skills, and the second i have already sourced a new one on eBay, and it looks easy to solder in.

again, thanks for the push in the positive direction. :D

~Travis

travis_farmer

I have decided to finish my server rack cooling system controller project. this has been spurred by me poking around the server case to look at something, and i found a good charge of dust inside. as the cooling fan is drawn through a filter, it should solve this.

so far, i have altered the code a bit to take advantage of the WDT. sometimes the arduino seizes up, and i don't want that. the WDT will solve things temporarily while i pour through the code to find the issue. i suspect it has to do with my use of String (old habits die hard).

for fans, i have changed the plan from a salvaged blower fan, to a pair of 12" automotive radiator fans. I suspect i will have far more CFM, so the fans will not have to run full speed, and thus it will be quieter.

i also have to finalize the external circuit, and mill it onto a PCB (just ordered a bunch, so i can try out my CNC for that).

one quick question, how much wire length can I2C handle? my temp/humidity sensor is I2C, and the sensor needs to be mounted near the top of the rack, though the controller (to be built into a 2U bare server case) will not be right up to the top, as the fans need room to breath. i am suspecting the final design will be no more than 3 feet of run from the Arduino to the top of the rack.

I still have to mount some doors on the front and back of the rack. the front will likely have a glass window (i will check, but i think i can get it cheaper than lexan), just so i can see inside my rack, and bask in it's glory. ;)

i must say, i am glad that i have renewed my interest in some of my arduino projects. it has been quite some time since i have been in the mood to code.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Three foot should be OK for I2C but it's not really designed for anything off the board.

I'd just use the watchdog and not bother tracing down the issue, it's not like it's a critical device. If you are using i2c with that control it could be the i2c communication causing the lock up... I am using i2c between an esp8266 and arduino due and sometimes the due locks up, and I've done some reading and it seeems like i2c transactions can cause it as well...

allanhurst

I2C is board-level stuff - not meant for any distance. I'd not trust it for much over 1 ft. But you might get away with it....

Fixed your ham stuff yet?

Allan

Go Up