Go Down

Topic: Arduino on Linux (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic

E-Vampire

From what I know, is not RXTX-lib that have to deal with symlinks, but the o.s. Also I don't see the problem, is the device /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/tts/USB0 the point is that udev can see arduino and link it to a device. I tried to set serial.port in preferences.txt in both ways, but every time the arduino ide say it can't find that port. A friend of mine solved it with a chmod on /dev/tts/USB0, and the ide's "serial port" menù is grayed out no more. This didn't work for me. This sound very strange to me.

Veronica

I had looked into this myself as I wanted my FTDI 232 cable to always appear as /dev/boarduino.

I found that I could get the port to show up in Arduino's Serial menu by manually adding 'boarduino' to the list of device names in RXTXCommDriver.java (starting at line 519 for version 2.1.9).  Of course this means that I had to compile RXTX myself.

In the end I decided not to complicate my installation and went back to using precompiled RXTX files from the rxtx.org site.

On reading the INSTALL file you could try using

Code: [Select]

java -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/tts/USB com.foo.MyApp

where  com.foo.MyApp is the arduino java app.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this so have no idea if it will work for you

HTH

Ver

Regards

wayoda

Hi Ver

I had looked into this myself as I wanted my FTDI 232 cable to always appear as /dev/boarduino.

In the end I decided not to complicate my installation and went back to using precompiled RXTX files from the rxtx.org site.

On reading the INSTALL file you could try using

Code: [Select]

java -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/tts/USB com.foo.MyApp

where  com.foo.MyApp is the arduino java app.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this so have no idea if it will work for you

This works fine for a single board, thanks for the tip.  

I wish I could set a search-prefix for the rxtx-lib that way.
Udev creates a symlink Arduino.[SerialNumber] for all my boards.
If I could tell rxtx : "search for all devices starting with 'Arduino.' "
that would be great...

Some more background information is here
http://www.capybara.org/~dfraser/?p=29

Eberhard

Veronica

You can... but you have to modify the RXTX source code.  I did have /dev/boarduino and /dev/arduino (former was for my FTDI 232 cable plugged into a boarduino and the latter for the duemilanove).  You need to look at RXTXCommDriver.java starting from line 519 for version 2.1.9.

I had this working with arduino ver 0014 iirc and java sdk 32bit .  I then scrapped that as I wanted to get arduino/java/rxtx working completely with x86_64 and I couldn't compile rxtx.

HTH

Go Up