Go Down

Topic: possible to random choose a value from an array? (Read 970 times) previous topic - next topic

flyboy

I am working on a firefly driver with my Arduino andI want to use the pwm outputs to drive the LEDs.  I plan to light only one LED at a time.  Since the PWM outputs are not all sequential, is it possible to use the Random() command to choose a value from an array?--each output pin would be a value in the array.  What's the best way to go about this?

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

flyboy

I looked at the Random() command pretty closely before asking.  The problem I was having was that the PWM outputs are not all sequential, so you can't give it a limited range and expect it to always "land on" one of the preferred outputs.  I did find another way, though.  I used the random number generator with a range limitation.  I then used IF statements to tell it that numbers 0-24 = output 1, 25-48 = output 2, etc.  That seems to be about as clean as I can get it.

AWOL

Jun 12, 2009, 02:55 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 03:25 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
I looked at the Random() command pretty closely before asking

A lot of people don't - thanks!

If you put the PWM pin numbers into a constant array, thusly:
const byte pwmPins [] = {3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11};
byte pwmPin;

And then use
"pwmPin = pwmPins [random (0, 5)];"

you'd get a random pin.

[EDIT] Oops - the docs say the max value is exclusive, so that should probably be
"pwmPin = pwmPins [random (0, 6)];"

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

flyboy

That works perfectly, see my work here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245067981

Thanks for your help, AWOL.  I just needed to get over the hump.

AWOL

A couple of years ago over at avrfreaks, there were a few firefly projects, using many individual processors, and algorithms to mimic the synchronisation of real fireflies.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy