Go Down

Topic: ATTINY 84 in Arduino IDE on a UDOO: Nothing shows up in "Programmer" section (Read 898 times) previous topic - next topic

glatteis

On my UDOO Quad which has an Arduino DUE built in on port /dev/ttymxc3, I installed the Arduino IDE addon for an ATTINY 84. On the "Tools" tab everything shows up as it should except in the tab "Programmer", where nothing shows up. When I click "Verify" on a blink sketch, Arduino IDE throws the error "Selected board depends on 'arduino' core (not installed). I can't figure out what an "arduino core" is. Help would be appreciated!

pert

Please post a link to the instructions you followed to install the Arduino IDE addon for an ATTINY 84. Use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make the link clickable.

glatteis

pert

Generally I would recommend the far superior ATTinyCore:
https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore
However, I see no reason why installing damellis/attiny following the instructions at that link would cause either of those problems.

Are you running a standard installation of the Arduino IDE or have you modified it in some way to support the UDOO Quad?

Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

glatteis

Thanks so much for your help so far!

The version of the Arduino IDE is 1.6.5. The UDOO adds a device definition which is called "UDOO QDL (Arduino Due)", but because the internals of this device are exactly like an Arduino Due and the only thing that is different is the port it is communicating on I can't see why this device wouldn't work with the ATtiny library. I'm installing the library you recommended now, I'll let you know if that works.

glatteis

So far everything that hasn't worked with the other library works.

But I have a problem that is (AFAIK) a general problem with ATTinyCore: It's throwing a "{runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/avr-g++ - no such file or directory" error.#

I have found the platform.txt that defines this path but I haven't solved the issue yet.
Here's a discussion thread about said error: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=416897.0

pert

As that thread states, the usual fix for this sort of issue is to delete the Arduino15 folder and then reinstall any hardware packages such as ATTinyCore which you had installed using Boards Manager. Please be very careful when deleting files from your computer. When in doubt back up!

glatteis

I renamed the Arduino15 folder and reinstalled the IDE using apt, but I get the same error. I suspect it's because I don't have the AVR Boards bundle installed, which the name of the missing compiler hints at, so I'm going to do that now.

glatteis

I'm getting there:

The error has changed, it's now not looking at an empty config variable but a clearly defined path:

"/home/udooer/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-g++" (in directory "."): error=2, No such file or directory

This path still doesn't exist though.

This error does not occur when compiling a program for the Due.

EDIT: I just noticed I forgot to apt-get update before reinstalling the IDE.  That might be the problem, I'm still on version 1.6.5.
EDIT2: The apt version of the arduino IDE is 1.6.5 anyway. Huh.
EDIT3: Everyone's saying this error is because of an old Arduino15 interfering with a new one. It isn't for me.

glatteis

Okay, I'm now renaming the Arduino15 folder again and I'm installing the Arduino AVR Boards package, the Arduino SAM boards package and the Arduino SAMD boards package. I have a suspicion that these are "secretly" required for the ATTinyCore package.

Additional info: I'm using the Arduino IDE on the Raspberry Pi part of the UDOO, so I'm running on ARM but I don't see why that would make the library incompatible.

pert

I'm installing the Arduino AVR Boards package, the Arduino SAM boards package and the Arduino SAMD boards package. I have a suspicion that these are "secretly" required for the ATTinyCore package.
Arduino AVR Boards is required, the other two are not. Arduino AVR Boards is included with the Arduino IDE. Since you're using an old version of the Arduino IDE there's a possibility that updating to the new version of Arduino AVR Boards could cause problems. I'm not aware of any specific ones. I've taken some steps to ensure they are backwards compatible but the Arduino developers don't seem to consider that a priority so they break it from time to time.

If you want to install the latest version of the Arduino IDE you can download it here:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
1.6.5 is a bit old but I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work for you.

glatteis

The compiler is now where it is, but when I try to compile I get this error:

Build options changed, rebuilding all
/home/udooer/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-g++: 1: /home/udooer/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-g++: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/home/udooer/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-g++ returned 2
Error compiling.

which is apparently an open bug in the Arduino IDE. Great. Updating the Arduino IDE it is.

glatteis

I'm completely puzzled as I can't seem to install the newest version. I'm going to use my Windows 10 laptop via Serial now. I've found the URL of the UDOO device which wasn't that easy because all of the tutorials that pop up in Google use the manual install method from a few years ago.

glatteis

Ok, I've taken another break from studying and tried my luck on Windows 10: It's almost working!

I can upload sketches onto the UDOO from my PC, and I managed to upload the Arduino as ISP sketch. Its heartbeat on PWM9 works. However I didn't find consistent info on how to actually wire up the chip.

For power supply, the ATTinyCore library tells me that "Vcc pin(s) connected to supply voltage (1.8~5v depending on part, clock speed, and fuse settings); Gnd pin(s) connected to Ground; 0.1uf ceramic capacitor connected between Vcc and Gnd pins, as close to the part as practical" which I connected.
The supply voltage pin is 3.3V for the Due because I read that 5V might break the Due.

The documentation is a bit spartanic for an Arduino noob like me, I don't know if I actually need to upload the "Arduino to ISP" sketch and how I need to wire up the device to program it, I have found conflicting information on that. Should I start a new thread for this or do you by chance know how to wire up the chip?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Go Up