Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cant upload sketches/flash chip  (Read 405 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone

I started a thread a few days ago about how my Arduino Duemilanove 328 won't upload any sketches, giving the error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0042
         0x79 != 0xa4
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I was advised to try reflashing the chip.  I might be wrong but I assumed this meant reburning the bootloader.

Following the instructions on http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer, I built a parallel programmer using a printer connection and parts from a USB internal connector from a PC (the bit that goes to the motherboard).

I tested all the pins with a multimeter, all of them checked out, I also removed all other pins except the ones that were needed so I am sure nothing is shorting out.  But for some reason, the programmer doesn't work smiley-sad.

Whenever I try to use it I get this error: "Wrong microcontroller. Are you sure you entered proper board under tools?".

I am certain the correct board is selected.  I also tried changing the preferences.txt so that it will use the parallel to upload sketches, but that didn't work either.

I have tried multiple computers, new drivers, different leads, and now the parallel programmer, nothing works smiley-sad

Is there a chance that something other than the ATMega328 is faulty?  That might explain why I can't do anything to fix it...

I don't mind ordering a new atmega328 chip, but I wanted to make sure that was likely to be the fault first smiley-razz

Anyway, I have a few awesome projects in mind including some car displays interfaced with GPS, which will also be able to talk with you via voice recognition (essentially night rider inside a peugeot 106 xD) and a voice controlled robot that can fetch data from the internet (emails, weather) etc.  If anybody here figures out what's wrong with my Arduino, then I will be sure to send pics and info to you first when I get them going =D.  

Plus I will send a gift wrapped cookie to you.  Nobody can turn that down smiley

France
View Profile

Do your onboard 13-pin LED blinks?

Anyway with those problems, if you bought it a very short time ago and couldn't get it work, ask your shop for a replacement chip!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The onboard pin 13 pin blinks just like the "Blink" sketch does, and when I try to upload the RX and TX lights flash just like they should.

About getting a new chip... i'll contact the website and ask them, I hope they won't need me to send the faulty one back though, would be cheaper to order a new one smiley-razz

Thanks for the reply btw, was pretty quick smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:33:14 pm by Chris17 » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ok no, they won't replace it they just told me to buy a new one <_<

Any other ideas?  :-?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: