Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Howto for xbee upload? (programmer not responding)  (Read 868 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello:

I'm trying to get upload via zigbee (xbee Series 2) working, but running into error with avrdude -

Is there some reset or other mojo that I need to do to get this working?

Any help is appreciated - thx.

parki...

Binary sketch size: 2156 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
/Programs/Arduino/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Programs/Arduino/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A6007wiV -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/Programs/Arduino/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/examples/Communication/PhysicalPixel/applet/PhysicalPixel.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Programs/Arduino/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/parki/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A6007wiV
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Check out http://ladyada.net/make/xbee/arduino.html. Basically, you need to reset when the upload starts. You need the connect DTR to a digital I/O on the transmitter, configure the transmitter to forward the digital I/O to the receiver, then connect the digital I/O on the receiver to reset. The xbee won't provide enough current to reset, so you'll need to use a transistor to bump the current.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi all.  I made the mistake of purchasing series 2.5 XBee modules rather than the series 1, which upon further reading seem inferior in every way.  All of the wireless programming guides (which is really what I want to do) have instructions for using the series 1 chips.  I'm using a Deumilnove board with XBee shield and a USB<->XBee adapter on the host side so following the various online guides required a bit of adaptation.  

I tried ladyada's guide link censored by yabb, messing around with settings in X-CTU longer than I care to admit.  I'm forced to resign to the fact that line passing does not work with series 2.5 chips, at least not in transparent mode, which seems to be need to use the Arduino IDE.  So, following the simpler guide set up by Rob Faludi link censored by yabb seemed the ticket as it should work with any radio, but requires a small addition bit of firmware in your arduino sketch.  I report that I do have it working, but not exactly smoothly.  

The part where he says The timing will probably take a little practice at first is quite accurate. It's downright tricky. The Arduino needs to wake from reset up while the host side XBee is attempting to contact it. Basically there's about one second where the host side XBee's TX (red) light flashes a few times briefly. That's when the arduino needs to be resetting. Note that this is not an easy venture as the *reset command was sent 5-10 seconds before (depending on your programmed delay). Not only that, sometimes the program download seems to be incomplete. Watch the lights on the host side (I'm using a Spark Fun USB<->XBee adaptor). Both TX and RX will flash rapidly if the program is downloading successfully. The download should take about 5 seconds (at 57600 baud). If shorter than that, it probably aborted and you have to try again. I preprocess the compile date/time into a startup message of the arduino output to verify the upload was successful.

Has anyone had similar results?  Does anyone know how to get the Arduino upload to try for a longer time to contact the programmer?  Am I missing anything else?

Frambois
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:01:29 pm by SrFrambois » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi again all.  Here were the links that Yabb would not let me include in the previous message, though a quick google would have indicated it to you:

Ladyada's guide (which does not work with series 2.5 radios): http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/arduino.html

Rob Faludi's guide (which sort of works with 2.5 radios): http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/arduino.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: