Go Down

Topic: 'if' equation always firing... (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

I have a piece of code...

Code: [Select]
for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
    temp = (j * 8) + i;
    temp3 = ledArray[temp];
    if (temp3 >= x ); {
    Serial.print(temp3, DEC);
    Serial.println(x, DEC);
    ledOut |= bit(i);
  }   //end if
   }  //next i

I had all the functions of temp3 = blabla embedded in the if statement, and took them out just to make sure.

Now...the way it works is I'm breaking an array of 24 into chunks of 8 for evaluation then shifting out to a shift register.
It used to work with just one shift register, but as soon as I made the array bigger it no longer works:
Serial Display:

After i, before shiftout

Zero is not greater than or equal to one, so it should not fire the if, but it does...8 times in a row.  No matter what data gets passed to this statement it doesnt seem to work.
255 is the decimal format of the bitwise setting of all 8 bits in the byte ledArray.

**back story, the whole point of this is I'm doing 3 bit (8 step) pwm control of an array of leds through shift registers by shifting at maximum speed.  I'm THIS close to giving up on the pwm concept - once the array gets as big as I hope (hundreds of leds) pwm will be unfeasable - but at this small prototyping stage I have some cool animations for an 8 led system...blargh.

Thanks in advance!  Please tell me I'm missing something stupid.

Looky here...
if (temp3 >= x ); {

You have a rogue ";"

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131