Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Why? avrdude: can't find programmer id "null"  (Read 3356 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, everybody!

I found the solution too!!!! I made the .../Dokuments and settings/preferences.txt file myself, from the preferences.txt file, that is in the Arduino folder. Here is it http://baster.nxt.ru/preferences.txt...

I want to try some already working PREFERENCES file. Please, post it here, somebody, if it isn't a problem...

God Member
View Profile

if you exit arduino, then rename your preferences file, then restart and exit arduino again, you should have a "clean" preferences file.

ND, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

What is the story on all those preferences files?
I found at least three of them.  Two say they aren't supposed to be changed.  
One is a smaller one located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Arduino" which is allowed to be changed. How does that smaller one come about?.  That's the one I modified to get "BLINK" to work by using the parallel programmer.  Which preference file does the sketch actually use?  Is a new one built for every sketch?  Its a little confusing, and not very well explained in the instructions or any information

Patrick

God Member
View Profile

The one you mentioned by path will get generated with default values if it does not exist.

You did not mention the paths to the other ones so I don't know if they have anything to do with arduino or not.  I *think* the one in lib is the "master copy" that is used to create the default one on application data.  

Or the one in lib is just orbital debris.

I don't know of any other ones unless you have multiple arduino versions installed.

ND, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Posted by: dcb
You did not mention the paths to the other ones so I don't know if they have anything to do with arduino or not.  I *think* the one in lib is the "master copy" that is used to create the default one on application data.  

Or the one in lib is just orbital debris.

I don't know of any other ones unless you have multiple arduino versions installed

When I have the computer do a search, I find preferences.txt files
One is listed under "C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Arduino-0012\lib"
Another is listed under just "arduino/lib"
those two appear to be one and the same.

The preferences.txt file in the Applications data folder requires that I tell the computer to do an extended search including "hidden folders"When I do that I find several more listed in some kind of temp folders, which all appear to be the same as the pref. files in arduino/lib.

Am I correct in assuming that a new smaller pref file is created in the Applications data folder for each sketch that is used?

Patrick

Arduino rocks
View Profile

dcb:Preferences, generated by my Arduino, is disabled, that's why I ask somebody to send m[ch1091] the working one...

ptool64ar: I think that smaller PREFERENCES is the log-book with the adjustments of your ARDUINO program.
They are generated frome the statements, that are in the preferences of ARDUINO.

ND, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

My arduino is not working so good right now, either.  I thought I had it worked out when I started using the Parallel programmer, but I'm still having problems.  I always have to verify(compile) at least two times(avrdude:Can't determine program size), and the same with the upload, I need to upload more than once to get it working.  On upload I get these messages: avrdude:verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 and avrdude:verification error:content mismatch..  Sometimes it will actually upload, today it won't.
I wonder if it has anything to do with upload speed?

Posted by: bAster.89 Posted on: Today at 20:39:54
dcb:Preferences, generated by my Arduino, is disabled, that's why I ask somebody to send m[ch1091] the working one.

Patrick

Arduino rocks
View Profile

My Arduino is not working excelent too... But it doesn't cause such problems, as yours...

Did you try my PREFERENCES file? Maybe they can solve your problem too smiley
Did you try to write the bootloader and write the programs via bootloader (with the standart USB). Maybe that would work better...

ND, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Did you try my PREFERENCES file? Maybe they can solve your problem too
Did you try to write the bootloader and write the programs via bootloader (with the standart USB). Maybe that would work better...

My arduino board does not use USB, it uses a TTL to RS232 converter and connects to a serial port.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

My arduino board does not use USB, it uses a TTL to RS232 converter and connects to a serial port.

I don't know wat is TTL...(

ND, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Posted by: bAster.89
I don't know wat is TTL...(
I guess it stands for "transistor-transistor-logic", but its just nomenclature (names, a name to call something).

My arduino board communicates with my PC by the use of a "TTL to RS232 converter".  Its a circuit and cable that connects the arduino board to the serial port on the back of my PC, rather than using the USB system that other arduino's use.  The circuit converts voltages from the microcontroller to higher voltages required by the serial port, that is what I found out, anyway.  

Right now I'm programming the arduino circuit by the use of a parallel programmer, which is another circuit that connects from the PC's parallel port to the Atmega microcontroller.  By using this programmer, I just sidestepped the arduino bootloader, because I was having so many problems getting the thing to program.  

You can find information on "Burning sketches to the Arduino board with an external programmer ",  FIND THAT HERE: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer.  This is done without a bootloader, so it says in that information page.
Patrick smiley

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks... Everything is clear now.

Yes. I was there (http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer)... I burned my bootloader on ATmega with homemade parallel programmer, discribed there.

Omaha
AC0KG
View Profile

I'm was having this same problem, so I created this post to document what I did to work through it and get back to a functioning system.

I was previously running Arduino-0012 on this system with a USB serial adapter to an AVR Butterfly with no problems. I had not used it for several months and then I got a new iDuino board with on-board USB. I added Arduino-0016 and immediately got the 'can't find programmer id "null"' error from avrdude.

I took the board, cable and Arduino-0016 files to another computer where it all works exactly as it is supposed to. It's something about the environment on my system, but I wasn't sure what.

I looked at boards.txt, programmers.txt and avrdude.conf files, but they all look fine. They also work on the other system, so I can't see why they would be the problem.

I replaced avrdude.exe with a program that dumps the command line and got this:

-CC:\Program Files\arduino-0016\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pm168 -cnull -Uflash:w:C:\Program Files\arduino-0016\examples\Communication\ASCIITable\applet\ASCIITable.hex:i

This would explain why avrdude is complaining about not knowing what programmer id "null" is.

As a test I added a "null" device to the avrdude.conf file:

programmer
  id    = "null";
  desc  = "Atmel AVR ISP";
  type  = stk500;
;

This worked, sort of. Avrdude now complains:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "com1": The system cannot find the file specified.

This is in spite of the correct COM5 setting that is selected in the IDE. So I updated the default port setting in avrdude.conf:

default_serial     = "com5";

Resulting in:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Ah ha! Now we're getting somewhere. That means it's probably trying to talk to the wrong kind of board. Since I have the correct kind selected in the IDE, something else is mucking it up.

I opened my application data preferences.txt file and scanned through it. Ah, "upload.using=butterfly". That isn't going to work. Renamed the file, restarted Arduino and it rewrites the file using upload.using=bootloader.

Now it works just like it is supposed to.

Ok, back out the other changes to the avrdude.conf file and check the avrdude.exe command line:

-CC:\Program Files\arduino-0016\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pm168 -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM5 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Program Files\arduino-0016\examples\Communication\ASCIITable\applet\ASCIITable.hex:i

Much better!

So, the root of my problem with the "can't find programmer id "null"" error was that I had at some point adjusted settings such that the "upload.using=" setting in my user preferences file was updated to work with the AVR Butterfly. Selecting a new board in the Arduino IDE doesn't reset this. I don't remember changing it, but it's possible I did it by hand.

Moral of the story: If you get this error, try using a fresh Arduino install and don't forget to move or delete the preferences file in your user directory, the path for which you can find at the bottom the Preferences dialog.

Hope that helps someone.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I am a total nOOb at this. I hand-made the arduino-severino and i  have an Atmega8 with it. when I try to burn the bootloader with a parallel ICSP programmer, it says -

initialization failed, rc=-1
invalid device signature
expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07
AVR device not responding

I have choosen Arduino NG or older w/atmega8 in tools | board menu
I am using Arduino 0016 IDE on windows XP.
I have tried installing the XP-polling registry found on the arduino site

Can you please tell me in detail how to go further with this?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello,
Do you remember to install the Parallelport-Driver 'giveio' as descibed at the bottom of the arduini-programmer's page?

The Error-message is typical if there is no connection to arduino(atmega).

Regards

Schorse

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: