Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: File - Open don't default to the sketch folder.  (Read 768 times)
Norway
microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I just thought I finally get around to post about this, though it's not really that big a deal. Still I find it strange no one else have mentioned it, or at least I can't find another thread about it in the forum. Unless I'm the only one with this bug..

On Ubuntu at least, it's a drag to use the File - Open dialog, because it defaults to the arduino install directory. And also showing "hidden" files/directories, it's a somewhat long list to scroll through each time... even if I have the arduino install folder in my home folder. Plus of course it opens up a new sketch window, leaving the old one blank. Seems a bit unneccesary, as there is a "new" item on the menu that will make a new window.

I usually use the open button on the GUI, which is nicely implemented btw! I also really like that one can organize the sketch folder to ones liking, making folders (even with spaces in folder names) to sort different types of sketches into.Which btw becomes kind of neccessary when the list is long, as it doesn'nt scroll the list if it is higher than the screen. Even subfolders of subfolders in the menu works smiley

EDIT: Forgot to mention it concerns the arduino 0017 and 0018 IDE's.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:06:24 pm by raron » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

Hi,
this is one of my favourite Arduino bugs. I has been reported again and again over the last years but was never fixed. Well, maybe this year somebody cares about Linux users too....

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=39

Eberhard

Norway
View Profile

Ok.

Well, one should really head over to the processing people then. I kind of suspected that. Besides the GUI button remedies most of it, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Btw I just (re)discovered that when saving a sketch, at least the "save as" dialog goes to the correct folder.

EDIT: Also I think I posted this in the wrong sub forum, it should probably be under "bugs and suggestions"...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:19:38 am by raron » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

FYI: We (silently) fixed this bug for our Arduino Package for Ubunutu 9.10/10.04 .
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Ubuntu
"Open..." starts in the users home dir and uses the JFileChooser.

Eberhard

Norway
View Profile

Hey thanks for that info! Very nice!

Btw, a slight typo on the playground page:

One may alternatively run "sudo apt-repository ppa:arduino-ubuntu-team".
Should be
One may alternatively run "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:arduino-ubuntu-team").
(but it does say so on your page).

Also, any chance it will read the preferences and start in the sketch folder? (so now I'm bugging you smiley-razz)
Anyway, thanks  again for this!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it seems to work great in Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit), and also with the theme I'm using smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:25:20 am by raron » Logged

Norway
View Profile

I hate to say this, but the official "save as" dialog do have one (huge) advantage; the sketch name is pre-filled, and it's very easy to just change it a bit to save a new version. For me that's really more important, and the GUI open button works really well for opening sketches (especially after finding out I can sort sketches in sub-folders and they will appear as sub-menus).
But still very nice work! I don't know how you do it. I will definitely keep an eye on it in case you improve it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: