Go Down

Topic: real-time clock scheduler or esp scheduler (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic

pat

Hi

Arduino megae
nextion enhance touchscreen with rtc

real-time clock scheduler or esp scheduler.
my goal is is to use real-time clock scheduler or esp scheduler and schedule so I come to on and off by relays at certain times of day based on real-time. And on my touchscreen display have an override button to turn off but the time is still counting down. From what I have read some of these clocks can lose track of time over a long period in one month can be out as much as 10 minutes because eventually all of this equipment will be housed in the box I don't want to be manually updating the time if i can get way with it that's why I am thinking esp but even that loses time after about a hour, my nextion enhanced has a built-in rtc does that matter if anybody could spare me the time and tell me the pros and cons on both of them and which particular model to go for.
Thanks Paul.

Wawa

If you are near a WiFi access point, then the ESP ? 8266 ? can sync with internet time.
No RTC needed.
Leo..

wvmarle

ESP8266 can indeed easily get NTP time. Real time, you just have to set your time zone and it can figure out what time and date it is by itself.
Touch screen I assume uses SPI plus one or two extra for interface so there you should have no problem either with the ESP8266. Get a NodeMCU board or so, they're pretty nice to work with.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

aarg

If you are near a WiFi access point, then the ESP ? 8266 ? can sync with internet time.
No RTC needed.
Leo..
Not to nitpick but it's my favourite subject. I regard the RTC as so cheap and easy, that it's worth having anyway, for periods when internet access is broken.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

Wawa

Jul 03, 2017, 12:13 am Last Edit: Jul 03, 2017, 12:16 am by Wawa
The ESP8266, unlike other common Arduinos, uses a real crystal clock (26Mhz or 40Mhz).
I assume because the WiFi transmit frequencies have to be accurate/stable.
That should keep time also rather accurate.
Like to see someone post practical results of that.
Real problem could be power loss. The ESP has no clock backup battery.
Leo..

Go Up