Go Down

Topic: How do you say "Solder"? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

TBAr

Maybe we should ask the Colonel?

The Colonel usually just delegates it to the left tenant.

macsimski

Here in the netherlands we pronounce it "Sol Deer" or just "tin"
--
"We're all in this together..."

trialex

Gee, I don't know . . . "talk," "walk," "half,", "calf"
Maybe we should ask the Colonel?

Just because there are a few examples of silent "L" doesn't mean ALL of them are... :-)

Also I would pronounce the L to some extent in all of those words... they certainly don't sound the same as if the L wasn't there at all, which is the case with the solder/sodder argument.

I put my soldering iron in it's hoLder, not it's hodder.

Anyways I'm happy for everyone to pronounce it however they want, just interested in how the L became silent

Otacon2k

Sold-er. How else would you pronounce "Sold" ?!
<Condemned wanders off to have a nice cup of tea>

Are the syllables in English separated like that? In German you would separate them like "sol- der", like in "sol- dat" (german word for soldier).
Perhaps from an linguistic kind of view there once was an "ou" like in "boulder" or "shoulder"?
Someone who knows around here?

Scott S.

saw-der, no L's round here. Someone who was completely removed from the field of electronics would still attempt to read it as written and say sold-er.
- Scott

bHogan

Jun 18, 2009, 05:17 pm Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009, 06:12 pm by BroHogan Reason: 1
Just because there are a few examples of silent "L" doesn't mean ALL of them are...
I coudn't - I mean, I couldn't agree with you more.  :)

Here's a nice little article about the silent "L" that mentions solder  specifically, and the history behind how the "L" became silent (for some).
http://verbmall.blogspot.com/2006/05/silent-letters.html

Hookt on fonics werked 4 me!
"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

westfw

sorta partway between sod-er and saw-der, but never with a long O.
Interesting national difference...

condemned

Are the syllables in English separated like that?

No. My intent on splitting it "Sold-er" was to split into a very common word, "Sold", which (as far as I know) is never mispronounced.
Stumbling across a few audio clips was quite alarming. I'm quite happy to wield a 'soldering iron', but I'd never want to go near a 'sod-ering iron'  :o

See this wiki page. The word 'sod' is commonly used in the UK, and (as far as I'm aware) the etymology is well known.

<Condemned now shuffles off again, stage left, for his nice cup of hot cocoa>

Kitep

Here's a nice little article about the silent "L" that mentions solder  specifically, and the history behind how the "L" became silent (for some).
http://verbmall.blogspot.com/2006/05/silent-letters.html

Thanks for the link.  But the very first sentence starts off
Q. Why is the letter -L- silent in words such as salmon and solder?

I pronounce the L in salmon :)

kellykel

jezuz

the same way sodomize is pronounced for me... sawdomize... sawder

Scott S.

lol, sodomize.

nice choice of words.
- Scott

RD

Well... for a while I never knew so I would just mumble it quickly. Now I say sodher ;-)

p07gbar

Heres a poll to settle the issue
Never wing it, unless it's convenient.

Coding Badly

Heres a poll to settle the issue

Where's the "Other" option?

- Brian

Go Up