Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE won't start on windows XP (Read 10831 times) previous topic - next topic

christian

Hi strange thing happend today. I have been using Arduino for a while now but today I tried to run the IDE and it would not start up at all. The cursor changes to the hourglass for a second but nothing runs. It also doesn't seem to be running as a process.

I tried the old version 2 IDE and that didn't work either. Then I tried removing the software and then downloading it again. No joy!

I am guessing this is something to do with my windows setup but short of a full windows re-install I am not sure what to do.

Any help from someone out there?

christian

I just manged to sort it out by altering the run.bat file

to

set JAVA_HOME="java\bin"

This is pretty clumsy though and many users would be really confused. I am using XP service pack 2

mellis

The run.bat file will be fixed in the next release.  I'll have to take a look at the executable though.  Do you have any idea what might have changed on your machine between when it started working and stopped working?  Did you install anything that uses cygwin?  Or any sort of security software?  New versions of Java?  Are you running as a different user?

christian

erm hard to tell. I had messages to update my java installtion but I had not even updated it before it stopped working.

To be honest there is a real problem on windows XP.

Today I installed the IDE on 3 other machines. A Windows 2000 machine which was fine and 2 Windows XP machines. Both the XP machines didn't work and needed the run.bat workaround.

I think this must effect 60% of XP users

DojoDave

Hej,

this is not totally true. I would like you to check out if you have cygwin (linux for windows) installed in those machines. We have detected a problem with paths in computers running cygwin.

If so, we will give you a different exe file.

/David

christian

I suspect its is something to do with JAVA or Processing. All the XP machines that had problems had  them installed.

I am happy to do some debugging for you or try running some other executables. Where should I start?

BTW. One of the XP machines had Visual Basic installed and when the error occured it seemed to go into debug mode and come back with some details. Would that be useful for you guys?

DojoDave

Hej,

this problem you are reporting I have seen it before, but this is the reason why I asked you for cygwin, because I have it myself and that makes my computer behave in a different way. E.g. the directory structure is not working with backslash ("\") like in other windows boxes, but with slash ("/"), and it is not very stable in term on when it will do it in either one way or the other depending on the software.

Have you made any progress? If you post your email address I could send you a different executable for you to try out if it works.

/David

christian

Hi David.

Yeah I really don't have Cygwin like I said but I am happy to try another executable.

The problem occured on 3 different XP machines in 1 day and none of these had cygwin or other peculiar configs.

christian@softhook.com

Andy_B

Hi,

I have also encountered this problem on my XP machine. Everything was fine untill a Java update a few weeks ago (Jre 1.5.0_06) which made a few Java based things go wrong. I have managed to fix most of them, but I can't get Ardunio running again - even the bat file edit fails.

If it would help, I'm happy test an exe's that may cure the problem. I'm running loads a stuff on my machine that are probably causing the difficulties; Cygwin, Ant, Java SDK ect.

Andy

mellis

Strange, run.bat should use the version of Java that came with Arduino, so I'm not sure why it's affected by your Java update.  What happens when you run it?  What about when you use arduino.exe?

Andy_B

When I run the bat file I get:
'"java\bin"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

When I try the exe I get:
C:\Ardunio 003\java\bin\javaw.exe
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action, Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Maybe its specific to my machine, but it's strange that it happened after the Java update. I had similar issues with various versions of Processing and Mobile Processing, but these were solved by reinstalling them in different locations on my drive.  It's kind of an odd problem.

mellis

Hmm, can you post your run.bat file?  It should look like this:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/arduino/trunk/build/windows/dist/run.bat?rev=108&view=markup

In particular, check these lines:
set JAVA_HOME="java\bin"
%JAVA_HOME%\java processing.app.Base

Andy_B

Ok, I couldn't any difference between my bat file and one in the link, but when I pasted it into mine it worked (so there have been a syntax error somewhere).

However, the exe still produces the same error message. Perhaps this is a Cygwin problem after all?

mellis

Dunno, we've been having lots of problems with the arduino.exe file on Windows.  It needs a thorough investigation.  In the meantime, use run.bat.  Sorry about that.

Go Up