Go Down

Topic: /dev/ttyUSB0 or udev confusion (Read 810 times) previous topic - next topic

bf

[Ubuntu 10.4, arduino-018]

I am running a project with two serial devices on USB ports (one is an arduino, one is a medical monitor). With all the connecting/reconnecting of the devices I was having problems with which device was /dev/ttyUSB0 and which /dev/ttyUSB1. so i created udev rules which assign the arduino to /dev/arduino and the monitor to /dev/usbserial on plugin.

This works for my python script - it can see each device and doesnt get confused.

Now my problem:
I connect the arduino. dmesg says it is on /dev/ttyUSB0. i can also read serial from /dev/arduino. But when i try to upload a new sketch to the arduino, the GUI says it cannot find /dev/ttyUSB0. likewise when i changed the .arduino/preferences file to /dev/arduino it then says it cannot find /dev/arduino.

I cant paste the whole error message since this is my office PC and the f*****s in IT here wont let me connect my laptop to the network. >:(

Any ideas where to go next (except for removing my udev rules when i want to change a sketch)? weirdly in the menu, the [chose serial port] is greyed out.

Very grateful for a clever person's help.

bf

bf

OK OK OK

So i went to RTFM

I added:
Code: [Select]
SYMLINK +="ttyUSB%n"
to the udev line, and it does work, although it creates ttyUSB000 and ttyUSB001 which is kinda ugly but i can at least do stuff.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy