Go Down

Topic: Why Servo motor is called as 'Servo' motor ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Aadeesh

Hello guys,

I was wondering why servos are called so ?

Any answers ?  :)

Groove

Apr 12, 2010, 03:28 pm Last Edit: Apr 12, 2010, 03:38 pm by GrooveFlotilla Reason: 1
From the same root as "cerveau", the French for brain?

[edit]A quick Google suggests to me it derives from a Latin root, meaning one who serves/maintains, I guess meaning one who maintains (a position) in place of the controlling function.[/edit]
Per Arduino ad Astra

Groove

Well, a servomechanism maintains some controlled parameter, like angular position in the case of an R/C servo, once commanded.
"Servo" is just a diminutive of "servomechanism".
Per Arduino ad Astra

capt.tagon

From Latin, servus = slave, so a servo motor is a slaved motor, ie controlled operation as opposed to free running.

Aadeesh

Okay...  I got something from you guys... Thank You...

Any more from others..

vinceherman

m-w.com

Main Entry: ser·vo·mo·tor
Pronunciation: \[ch712]s[ch601]r-v[ch333]-[ch716]m[ch333]-t[ch601]r\
Function: noun
Etymology: French servo-moteur, from Latin servus slave, servant + French -o- + moteur motor, from Latin motor one that moves -- more at motor
Date: 1889

: a power-driven mechanism that supplements a primary control operated by a comparatively feeble force (as in a servomechanism)

MarkT

Servo is the latin for "I serve", simple as that.  Just like video means "I see".  Its just accident of history that in mechanics we say controller & servo and in software we say master & slave.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

capt.tagon

Apr 14, 2010, 12:05 am Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010, 12:06 am by Sean Reason: 1
@MarkT
And a California lawsuit shows that it's not a bad idea to use Latin instead of English ;)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy