Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bootloader burning, bad signature,  -F  (Read 4867 times)
UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is this possible using only a parallel program?

I have read the thread and this sounds like my exact problem... I have a new atmega168 chip in my Arduino Duemilanove and am getting the same signature errors when trying to burn a boot loader.

Am I able to change the bit rate of the parallel programmer to allow the boot loader to be successfully burnt? I cannot find any documentation about the file programmers.txt

If I successfully burn a boot loader would I still need to change the fuses? It sounds like I would in order to get it using the crystal and other features.

I do not have AVR studio, is this the only way to change the fuses? I suspect avrdude might be able to do it, but I have not used it before, and had not heard of fuses until about 30 minutes ago!

Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated,
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:14:50 am by bobemoe » Logged

NYC
The singularity is near!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Burning an atmega168P-20PU from Mouser on a Mac w/ Arduino IDE v21, Arduino ISP results in:
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

This thread states,
When I ordered the chips from Digikey, they came with the fuses set in the atmel default configuration which is DIFFERENT than what is set on the Arduinos (by default they are set to use the internal osc. instead of the external crystal on the arduino, they don't have the bootrst set, no brownout, etc).
So, when avrdude tries to read the device signature, the default 500kHz bitrate is too high, so you get back a garbage signature (sometimes it gets lucky and it read correctly, but mostly it was just garbage)
You have to lower the mkII's ISP freq to a speed supported by the default chips, fix the fuse settings, and then crank the speed back up on the mkII.  Once you do that the chips work fine with the Arduino environment.  I've been programming them all afternoon without hitch.

This implies the issue is likely with the bitrate. Is the way to solve this to change the bitrate via avrdude or AVR studio? Would an external oscillator help? Do any of the chips from Mouser or Digikey have this set right?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: