Go Down

Topic: Bootloader burning, bad signature,  -F (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

lotharsmash

Btw, you shouldn't need to enable the forcing options either since it should now read the correct device signature.

lotharsmash

If somebody can verify that these are valid instructions, a link should probably get posted on the bootloader page (http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader?from=Main.Bootloader).  I spent a couple hours on google trying to fix this after reading that page, and it would have been nice to know about this earlier instead of wondering why the stupid thing wouldn't program :)

lotharsmash

One final thing.  The fuse settings are dependent upon the Arduino hardware you're running.  For example, on the Diecimila, the SUT_CKSEL is "Ext. Crystal Osc. 8.0-  MHz; Start-up time PWRDWN/RESET: 16K CK/14 CK + 65ms", while on the Pro I got from Sparkfun.com it is set to "Ext. Full-swing Crystal; Start-up time PWRDWN/RESET: 258 CK/14 CK + 4.1 ms."
Also, on the Pro, the LOW is set to 0xC6 instead of 0xFF.  
I haven't had a chance to read the datasheet yet to figure out what all this means, just wanted to point out that the settings I posted earlier are for the Diecimilia.

Bala C

Hi Lothar and Paul,

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd add my problem here as it is similar. I'm suing an ATMEGA 8 on Diecimla. I do not have any AVR programmer for bootloading. Hence I wired up the parallel port adapter found on the arduino bootloader page and installed giveio. The printer port is recognised. The green and yellow lights on the diecimla board are ON. But after Choosing the Diecimla option in the Arduino software, when I try to burn the bootloader using the parallel programmer option I get the same error as Paul: Invalid signature. Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06.
If instead I choose the ArduinoNG or older with ATMEGA8 option in the Tools section and try to burn, I get the same erro message but with Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 83 07.
The preferences.txt file has no upload.using statement, hence I added this. But I don't know the exact syntax to put in for the parallel programmer name, id, etc., as you have indicated by Paul for the AVRispmkII. I'm using a 16MHZ crystal. I have also added the registry fix for 'DisableWarmPoll' as suggested on the arduino site.

I desperately need to burn the bootloader to my ATMEGA8. Help will be very much appreciated. Sorry about any typos.
regds
Bala C

paulb

I've never had much of an issue with programming chips with AVR studio but I am aware of the speed settings. I just use 125k which doesn't ever seem to generate errors. As far as I can see, that setting only affects the MKII, but I could be wrong about that.

After I've got them programmed on AVR studio, I really don't have any reason for using the MKII in the Arduino environment, but maybe having the MKII set slower would cure the problem there.

As to the bootloader settings, it would be nice to see some discussion and docs of various choices. What I've discovered is that some of the stuff is really important (divide clock by 8) and some of it just doesn't  matter much (oscillator settings) except in fairly obscure circumstances.

The original Arduino bootloader for example used brownout detection off, but I think they changed it when they had issues with NG's that wouldn't start sketches. This is a setting that does have a ramification because it controls how easily the chip resets. Higher settings might prevent flash from getting corrupted but also make the uC more sensitive to power line glitches from heavy current draw, DC motors and the like.

Paul

Go Up