Go Down

Topic: Practical Arduino logic analyser can't get going (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulS

If you are running the .exe file that you unzipped from the 1st link, that is posting a pre-defined size window, with a predefined number of channels (6).

The 2nd link contains the source code. You should be able to modify that to have the number of channels and size that you want.

donone

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Java and the file is not well documented. Even if I assumed that 1024 was the figure for the window height and I changed it, I still wouldn't know how to 'compile' Java to give me the final exe.
I don't mind experimenting and spending time with guesswork editing but not knowing what to do then is a problem.
Continued assistance would be warmly welcomed.

PaulS

The Processing program is a .pde file, too, except that it is opened in Processing, not Arduino. After you edit the code, you click Run, which compiles, links, and executes the resulting application. It is as easy to do as it is in the Arduino IDE.

As for what changes need to be made to the program, that depends on what you want to do. There are help files in Processing just like in Arduino.

Make a small change, and run. See if that gives you the results you want. Repeat until the program is yours.

Jonathan Oxer

I think you may be looking in the wrong place to change the code: what you're probably looking at is the Oscilloscope.java file, which is a library that provides functions to make it easier to write a software oscilloscope in Processing. You shouldn't need to modify that at all. The changes you need are most likely in the oscilloscope project itself.

One way to think of it is to analogize it to an Arduino project such as a web server. You'd probably use a library such as Ethernet to let you use an Ethernet shield, but you won't typically modify the library itself. Your sketch would written on top of it and use features of the Ethernet library for connectivity.

In the same way, the arduinoscope project uses Oscilloscope.java to provide features that can then be used by the actual scope project itself, which is written in Processing.

Where you probably need to look is around line 44 of "SimpleSerialArduinoscope.pde" in the "examples" directory. There's a setting there to specify how many channels you want.
--
Jon
Arduino-compatible board with prototyping area built in: www.freetronics.com/twentyten

donone

Thank you Jon for coming in on this. Are you suggesting that if I change the settings as you say; when I then run the Windows application AND the Arduino part, the window will adjust to the size and channels I set?
Therefore, the visual result of running the Windows app on its own is a red herring.
I thank you and will have a play with it. I am a total newbie to MCUs and to C/C++ having been a Delphi-er. I haven't grasped this 'processing' file.
I still do not understand the white blank window on the NetBook which is running Windows 7 also.
Any more help on those would be gratefully received.
As a GMT-er I am off to bed.

Go Up