Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Better IDE for Arduino?  (Read 4056 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've had experience writing computer programs (Java, FORTRAN, MATLAB), but have never done anything related to hardware programming.

I thought I would ease into simple hardware programming by using Arduino. However, I find the IDE absolutely horrible.

1. No line numbers
2. No mass commenting
3. No mass indenting
4. Error messages don't tell you much about what's wrong with the code (or where the error is since you don't have line numbers)

Maybe I've been spoiled writing in other languages, but programming in the Arduino IDE is so slow/unproductive. Is there some other IDE I can use or text editor + uploading-to-the-board software that I can use to replace the Arduino IDE?

Preferably, it should also be able to access the Arduino library and convert from Processing to C.

Maitland, Australia
View Profile

Josh, check the IDE again man.
  • Line number is displayed in bottom left
  • Ctrl-/ gives you comment. Highlight multiple lines first for mass commenting (See Edit menu)
  • Ctrl-[ gives you indent. Ctrl-] gives you outdent. Again, select multiple lines for mass-
  • Error messages don't tell you much, that's true. Welcome to C/C++.
I actually enjoy the simplicity of the IDE. I write OO multi-file projects (10+ files) in it all the time and enjoy it. I certainly don't feel the need to use Eclipse or Visual Studio to do what, for me, is "simple" coding.

Have another look at the menus. If you're not up to date on the IDE, you might need a download too.

Happy coding! smiley

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who are good at maths, and those who aren't.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

1) Who uses line numbers? This isn't BASIC.
2)Mass commenting? Do you mean 'mass commenting-out'? That's what '#if 0' is there for.
3) Not sure what mass indenting is, but there's always auto-format to get you a good way there.
4) C gives you so much freedom, it is sometimes difficult for the compiler to pinpoint exactly where it went wrong, but it usually manages quite well.
Besides, it's all free - quit whining.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:05:58 am by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Who uses line numbers? This isn't BASIC.
The compiler does in its messages smiley  indeed that's not basic that's advanced smiley-wink

That said, if you don't like the IDE you can use an external editor if you like. File menu > preferences > Second tick box

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:16:47 am by robtillaart » Logged

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

The compiler doesn't give me any messages  ,-)

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The compiler doesn't give me any messages  ,-)

I consider it a very good thing when the compiler DOESN'T give me any messages.  ;D

Lefty

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I've been using Netbeans for a while now, apart from quick 5-line test progs I'll never use the IDE again.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: