Go Down

Topic: C/C++ Course Specifically for Arduino programming (Read 5240 times) previous topic - next topic

mudmin

Does anyone know of a course specifically for programming C/C++ for Arduino. 

It just seems like the courses focus on C/C++ have a ton of stuff in them that is completely irrelevant to the arduino.

It also seems  like arduino-focused courses start with a few of the programming basics and then jump right into focusing on relays and LEDs and completely ignore the fundamental programming part of it.

Considering these boards are sold by the millions, there HAS to be someone out there teaching a C for Arduino course, right?

Paul_KD7HB

It just seems like the courses focus on C/C++ have a ton of stuff in them that is completely irrelevant to the arduino.

It also seems  like arduino-focused courses start with a few of the programming basics and then jump right into focusing on relays and LEDs and completely ignore the fundamental programming part of it.

Considering these boards are sold by the millions, there HAS to be someone out there teaching a C for Arduino course, right?
How have you determined your statements? Have you taken the courses you disparage? Did you begin reading world history books in the first grade? All the C/C++ stuff is relevant to programming the Arduino. Perhaps you need to do more Arduino programming to discover the connection to all C/C++.

Paul

mudmin

How have you determined your statements? Have you taken the courses you disparage? Did you begin reading world history books in the first grade? All the C/C++ stuff is relevant to programming the Arduino. Perhaps you need to do more Arduino programming to discover the connection to all C/C++.

Paul
I didn't disparage anyone or anything.  I just keep getting answers like "well it's a subset of c or c++." 

KeithRB

The basic language is full C, only the standard library is a subset, i.e., no stdout or stderr.

Robin2

Aug 23, 2017, 07:12 pm Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 07:13 pm by Robin2
I think a distinction can be made between learning C/C++ and learning to program an Arduino. All of the Arduino code is C/C++ but not all of the full scope of C/C++ is relevant to an Arduino. The amount of C/C++ that is essential for Arduino programming is probably quite small.

You have not told us what style of learning works for you - whether you prefer a text-book style or a "suck-it-and-see" style.

I like to look at examples (and there are plenty with the Arduino IDE) and then if I see something I don't understand I can spend some time with Google, etc. learning about it.

I suspect there is no shortage of online tutorials for Arduino programming and for C/C++ programming.

The advantage of the examples is that it brings you in contact with the things that are specific to the Arduino at an early stage.  And (for obvious reasons) they do not involve irrelevant C/C++ stuff. However I am not saying that the examples illustrate best-practice C/C++ coding. Many of them fall short of that. But they get the job done.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

econjack

I know for a fact there are a lot of intro C programming books aimed specifically at the Arduino family.

mudmin

I suspect there is no shortage of online tutorials for Arduino programming and for C/C++ programming.

The advantage of the examples is that it brings you in contact with the things that are specific to the Arduino at an early stage.  And (for obvious reasons) they do not involve irrelevant C/C++ stuff.
I appreciate the idea of the examples. That's what I generally wind up doing.  It usually winds up that I'm trying to extend the example and I'm having issues with the data not being in the variable type/format that the next thing I'm trying to do needs.

I will say that this thread is a pretty typical example of the frustration of the arduino community.  Other than you, I just get lots of "there's plenty of them." Tons of books. Tons of courses. Yet not a link or even the name of one when that's clearly what I'm asking for. 

I truly appreciate everyone's time...I just think that this is a huge thing that's lacking in the arduino community.

econjack

I just get lots of "there's plenty of them." Tons of books. Tons of courses. Yet not a link or even the name of one when that's clearly what I'm asking for.  
Yep, we are remiss in not doing that for you. I just googled "beginning C for Arduino" and got 1.4 million hits. Give me a couple of days to cull that list for you since you can't find any links.

Robin2

Aug 23, 2017, 09:21 pm Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 09:21 pm by Robin2
I will say that this thread is a pretty typical example of the frustration of the arduino community.  Other than you, I just get lots of "there's plenty of them." Tons of books. Tons of courses. Yet not a link or even the name of one when that's clearly what I'm asking for.  
I don't know whether I am typical of the more frequent posters here but I have read none of the books and I don't think I went through any of the tutorials.

I have been doing hobby programming for 35 years or so and I knew enough when I got my first Arduino so that I did not need them. I do have books on Ruby, Javascript, HTML and CSS. But I guess if I was starting those things now I probably would not buy them - just learn from the internet. For example when I switched (reluctantly) from Ruby to Python I did not buy a Python book.

Strange as it may seem you are more likely to get good advice about learning materials from other beginners. But, as far as I can see, they don't bother using the Forum once their own question has been answered.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

mudmin

Yep, we are remiss in not doing that for you. I just googled "beginning C for Arduino" and got 1.4 million hits. Give me a couple of days to cull that list for you since you can't find any links.
Yep because there's a book by that title. If you get to page 9 there's a single link for the Adafruit learning system, which isn't a c course either. Not one course. 

Nevermind. This is really unproductive. Thanks for those who tried to be helpful.

DrAzzy

Aug 23, 2017, 09:59 pm Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 10:01 pm by DrAzzy
I have noticed the same thing as OP regarding Arduino-centric resources. They usually stick to code that's very simple from the C/C++ perspective, and focus on interacting with hardware and using libraries to do stuff - all very practical information, but you're not going to learn anything other than basic c/c++ from those sort of resources. They always seem more focused on the hardware than the software.

Meanwhile, books dedicated to C/C++ assume you're programming on a desktop PC, so the sort of patterns they use as examples aren't always good ideas when programming in an embedded environment, and they don't emphasize the parts of the language most relevant to embedded programming.

I tried to find a resource that bridged the gap last year and wasn't happy with anything I found... I frankly haven't been able to find any resources printed on dead trees that I found particularly useful for arduino programming.
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

terryking228

Hi,
I just googled "beginning C for Arduino" and got 1.4 million hits.
Yep because there's a book by that title.
So there is. HERE it is on Amazon.

This book uses Arduino/IDE for all the examples, but it goes in depth with C, beyond other books I have.

I worked with the author on this book and I have run all the examples.  I think it is good for both Arduino programming and hardware insights.

DISCLAIMER: I am the Technical Editor of this book.

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

mudmin

Hi,

This book uses Arduino/IDE for all the examples, but it goes in depth with C, beyond other books I have.

I worked with the author on this book and I have run all the examples.  I think it is good for both Arduino programming and hardware insights.

DISCLAIMER: I am the Technical Editor of this book.

I may just go with the book.  I appreciate it!

I have noticed the same thing as OP regarding Arduino-centric resources. They usually stick to code that's very simple from the C/C++ perspective, and focus on interacting with hardware and using libraries to do stuff - all very practical information, but you're not going to learn anything other than basic c/c++ from those sort of resources. They always seem more focused on the hardware than the software.

Meanwhile, books dedicated to C/C++ assume you're programming on a desktop PC, so the sort of patterns they use as examples aren't always good ideas when programming in an embedded environment, and they don't emphasize the parts of the language most relevant to embedded programming.

I tried to find a resource that bridged the gap last year and wasn't happy with anything I found... I frankly haven't been able to find any resources printed on dead trees that I found particularly useful for arduino programming.

mudmin

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Maybe I'll learn this stuff and then do an online course. I'm getting there.  It's just way harder than I think it should be.

jbellavance

Sep 16, 2017, 06:53 pm Last Edit: Sep 16, 2017, 06:54 pm by jbellavance

I also got Pro Arduino When I got the ATTiny
If I can help...

Go Up