Go Down

Topic: LinuxMint 10 - IDE install  [SOLVED] (Read 6481 times) previous topic - next topic

Inprogress

Jan 23, 2011, 09:11 am Last Edit: Jan 23, 2011, 10:43 am by fanjanc@gmail.com Reason: 1
I have been working on linux for about a year now and love it, yet there are many little things that I just don't understand like the installation of software packages when not using the software manager or synaptic manager.

I see and know how to install the IDE software via those package managers, yet its version 18. Hence I need to download and manually install the newest version (have a Uno on the way)...but I just can't figure it out.

Will someone be so kind as to help me or point me to a nice step-by-step guide to installation in linux? (it took me a week to figure out how to install Xampp  :-/ ).

Alternatively I can (will be dual-booting with XP Pro) just install it the .exe way in XP.

Thanks so much.  :-[

(EDIT): P.S. 32bit
"The really amazing thing is how many people are successful with their Arduino projects considering the fact that so many of them do not have a technical background.  A lot of them seem to try, and succeed with, projects that no sane engineer would even attempt." - floresta commenting on the proper use of LCD displays

mrtaylor

Here is the instruction I use for Ubuntu.  I don't know anything about LinuxMint, but they may be similar.

Code: [Select]
Downloaded version 0022 from:
  http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
  // it downloaded to my /home/mark/Downloads directory

// open terminal from ubuntu menu
Applications->Accessories->Terminal

// go to downloads directory
cd ~/Downloads

// untar the downloaded file
tar -vxzf arduino-0022.tgz

// change directory to replace librxtxSerial library    
cd arduino-0022/lib

// backup original lib
mv librxtxSerial.so librxtxSerial.so.orig

//find librxtxSerial library that works for this system
find / -ls 2>&1 | grep -i librxtxSerial

if librxtSerial library is not found somewhere in a /usr/lib subdirectory
  //  this will require root  password
 sudo apt-get install arduino
 // rerun the find command

else

// found it in /usr/lib/jni
// copy it to arduino-0022/lib directory
cp /usr/lib/jni/librxtxSerial.so .

// go up one directory
cd ..                            

// exec arduino software
./arduino

Inprogress

"The really amazing thing is how many people are successful with their Arduino projects considering the fact that so many of them do not have a technical background.  A lot of them seem to try, and succeed with, projects that no sane engineer would even attempt." - floresta commenting on the proper use of LCD displays

mrtaylor

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy