Go Down

Topic: Help get Arduino 21 installed on my Ubuntu machine (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

mrtaylor

replace find command with:

find / -ls 2>&1 |grep -i librxtxSerial

This should filter out the Permission denied messages

pluggy

The install Ubuntu without package on the playground works for me.  Basically install the pre-requisites using apt or sysnaptic and just extract the arduino download to your home folder (do not use sudo, it will effectively make it read only to the ordinary user).  Never had to change permissions or add users to groups etc.

0022 is out ? That passed me by......

UnoArd

Thanks, Pluggy, for the alternate suggestion, but I am so uninitiated in Linux I am afraid I'd screw it up.
I, too, was surprised to learn from mrtaylor that 0022 was out.
mrtaylor, I changed the Find command per your suggestion, and the only two librxtxserial files that it found were in the Arduino 0021 and 0022 packages.  I initiated a file search of my own under the Places pulldown, and those were the only two found.  Does this mean that when my son built this machine that he may have missed a library file?  I think I've successfully used the USB port on this machine in the ast, but am not sure of that.

mellis

You might trying running Arduino 0021 or 0022 with the RXTX library that comes with it.  That is, move the .orig file back to its previous name:

// change directory to replace librxtxSerial library    
cd arduino-0022/lib

// restore original lib
mv librxtxSerial.so.orig librxtxSerial.so

Then run the arduino file.  If that doesn't work, you can install the "RXTX" package in Synaptic Package Manager, and then follow the instructions about replacing the RXTX from the Arduino software with the one from the distribution's package.

mrtaylor

install arduino version 0018 from the ubuntu repositories

//  this will require root  password
sudo apt-get install arduino

Then rerun the find command

Go Up