Go Down

Topic: BEGINNERS: TOP FIFTEEN MISTAKES (well a shot at them anyway) (Read 7971 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Almost but no cigar R2

"regardless of your experience and age we will try to treat you appropriately and would expect in return you can deal with some advice and humour without offence"

Trying to meet you in the middle here.

Also IMHO I have seen questions that I could very easily put down to a 6 year old coming from adults in terms of so few words and pretty much zero information and vice versa with some awesome posts from younger users so I dont think getting to find an age group is of much a concern as finding a skill level to be able to converse at.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Let's wait and see if there are any more comments on this.

I am very well aware that young people are capable of asking sensible questions and that over-18s are capable of asking silly questions.

However it seems to me that, regardless of his/her intelligence, young people should be addressed with more decorum than would be necessary with an over-18.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GreyArea

I seem to remember I was thinking along the lines of;

"Most of our members are adults and so we assume you are too. This means there may be some good natured adult banter as well as the advice. If you are not an adult please let us know and we will ensure we present our advice accordingly."

ballscrewbob

Thankfully this is a really well behaved forum and nothing like FB or its ilk.
Decorum I think is almost always evident and in the very rare cases it is dropped then it is often curtailed pretty quickly either by the mods or the person answering in deference to the rules around here.

And to be totally honest that particular line was the only real thing I could pick out as needing a little more work.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ballscrewbob

"good natured adult banter" makes it sound more like smutty jokes might be found (bar section maybe on occasion)

"we will ensure we present our advice accordingly." Everyone has different styles so to use the word ENSURE in that context would imho be much to strict.

I prefer to start lower and see where a conversation goes before raising the game a little.
And even then some of that depends on where the level of conversation started.

GreyArea

Geez Bob, I'm guessing this ain't your first rodeo...you talk like a PR lawyer...

Swap out ensure for endeavour or attempt, and simplify start to "we will treat you like an adult; if you're not it's your responsibility to let us know.

Though, has to be said, I think AWOL was right, we're wasting a lotta time and it ain't gonna change a damned thing...if there was a magic word that made newbies read stickies, someone would've copyrighted it by now...

Damn. Mike's negativity must be rubbing off on me.

No. It's not that...I spent years in technical service for a building products company. A lovely job that mostly involves asking people if they read the product data sheet. If they hadn't used the product yet, no they hadn't. If they'd used it and it had gone horribly wrong...you can bet your bottom dollar they had...afterwards...and magically, they did exactly what it said.

Allegedly.

Hey, from noob to cynic in one foul bound...

ballscrewbob

Yep done some stuff in my time and like to think I have a half decent handle on making words go over a little better.

Gonna mark you down for not including the finishing "double quotation marks" ;)

AWOL was dead right and not the only person to say so.

Engineer in the rest of the world and a millwright in Canada with a few other choice tickets too in computing and similar fields and crossover CNC diagnostics and field repairs (FANUC)

Anything I come up with to make noobs read a sticky might be considered cruel and unusual punishment...but I bet it would weed em out pretty good.

:smiley-evil:

GreyArea

Yep done some stuff in my time and like to think I have a half decent handle on making words go over a little better.

Gonna mark you down for not including the finishing "double quotation marks" ;)

And you're a proofreader too it seems...I HAD spotted it as soon as I posted...seriously could NOT be bothered waiting the five minutes between posts just to add " on the end...

It's one of my main gripes with this forum...it may be beyond the mods control, but could you consider;

1. Reducing it to two or even three minutes
2. Not applying it to the first two posts
3. Not applying it to edits

The last one is probably the most irritating.

Robin2

It's one of my main gripes with this forum...it may be beyond the mods control, but could you consider;

1. Reducing it to two or even three minutes
2. Not applying it to the first two posts
3. Not applying it to edits

The last one is probably the most irritating.
I agree the 5 minute wait is a PITA. The purpose is to stop spammers (and it seems to be effective) so your second point is unlikely to be practical.

There have been several Threads complaining about this in general and including your 3rd point.

The limit goes away after 100 posts and there have been plenty of suggestions to reduce that significantly - but nothing has happened.

The real problem, which I have complained about several times, is that the Forum developers do not use the Forum so they are out of touch with their customers.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GreyArea

lastchancename

There's a huge number of genuinely helpful souls here, but occasionally the readers brain is even more resistant to learning than those kind hearted folks can take.

I'm nowhere near as patient as many others, but i'd like to stick with the 'good natured adult banter' than downright mud-slinging... although secretly some participants deserve it!
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

rdepew

Hi R2.

"If you are young and wish to be treated in a manner appropriate for a child let us know. Otherwise we will assume you are an adult and can withstand good-natured banter without taking offence."

"regardless of your experience and age we will try to treat you appropriately and would expect in return you can deal with some criticism and humour without offence"

Just toned it down a little.

That's better, IMHO. One of the most difficult things to do in stickies like this (and in dealing with noobs in particular) is to avoid sounding condescending. If we want condescending or snobby behavior, we can always go to stackoverflow dot com.

Robin2

That's better, IMHO.
I don't know if you have considered the version in blue that I proposed in Reply #29 and if you are saying that you prefer the version in green in Reply #27 to it.

I have explained in Reply #29 the problem that I see with the version in Reply #27. I would be interested to hear your views.

...R

falexandru

And lack of common ground.  There's obscene number of "problem" with Arduino and externally powered device like LED string.  Only connected data, no ground.
I still encounter problems with the common ground. :-((

Do not forget the difficulties of people like me coming from the procedural languages time. "I studied voodo, I must confess...":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmsK59ncHs&t=0s&list=PLTGnaMyRDtHb0MlfX7rIkD9XvOIof14uB&index=1

But seriously, learning is one thing and re-adapting yourself is another.  Perhaps kind people who experienced  the same problem may share their opinions.

lastchancename

There is no secret to 0V / GROUND.

Your power supplies (except in quite unusual situations beyond Arduino) should all have their 0V / GND wires tied together - no other topology makes sense.

This basic understanding of voltages (potential difference) is critical to wiring up *any* electrical circuit.

GROUND is a potential that is  nominally equal to the surrounding 'environment'.
POSITIVE voltages are those 'above' ground.  +12V, +5V and +3V3 are the common positive voltages.
NEGATIVE potentials are those voltages *below* ground potential.

In virtually every 'standard' Arduino project, there are no negative voltages exposed to the developer/user.
Custom boards and interfaces may add 'other' voltages needed by the application.

So the take-away is : BEFORE you burn out boards, or start programming, make sure you have your hardware worked out.
There's no point putting fuel in your car if it doesn't have tyres!
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

Go Up