Go Down

Topic: BEGINNERS: TOP FIFTEEN MISTAKES (well a shot at them anyway) (Read 8380 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

ballscrewbob

Delete or archive the whole section as it looks like its all headed south
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

All very solid advice...except...

"Spend a couple of hours reading topics..."

That could be interpreted to mean that you only want a set of guides that you agree with.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

Delete or archive the whole section as it looks like its all headed south
I would not argue strongly against that.

But let's see if we can fix it?

...R

PaulRB

...R
Rob the builder, can we fix it?

ballscrewbob

I would not argue strongly against that.

...R
Maybe moving it to the bottom of the sections list until it is fixed rather than have it front and centre and showing that there are too many chefs at the moment ?

Meet you half way R2 ;)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

showing that there are too many chefs at the moment ?
I think a large part of the problem is that the Head-Chef (@robtillart) has not continued to take an active interest. Initiatives like this need a champion if they are to succeed.

...R

ballscrewbob

Not going to mention any names as I think anything like this needs  (or needed) discussion and a plan before it was placed right at the top and maybe a little dev.

There is a "dev play forum" to work these thing up in.
Seems a shame not to have made use of it.

Out of sight out of mind until it was ready for general consumption.

In fact that's probably the best idea is to move it to the romper room.
Am sure some of the senior members know where it is.

(no links please)

Robin2

There is a "dev play forum" to work these thing up in.
Seems a shame not to have made use of it.
I associate the word "dev" with the folk who maintain the Forum whom we never hear from. IMHO if things are left to them they don't happen.

This Section of the Forum seems to have been an initiative by users supported by at least one Moderator and I think the concept is a good one. But it does need more careful implementation.

At the same time I don't think it should be left entirely on the shoulders of the Moderators - which would be the case if the "dev play forum" is accessible by them and not by us.

...R

GreyArea

That could be interpreted to mean that you only want a set of guides that you agree with.

...R
Well, you DID ask an opinion...

"What do people think of the following text as an initial GO-TO place for newbies..."

Maybe that was aimed at other mods and I just butted in...but if you wanted to know if it worked for newbies, I thought a newbie's opinion might help?

Robin2

Well, you DID ask an opinion...
Indeed I did, and thank you for your comments.

However you have not commented on my response to you!

...R

ballscrewbob

Hi R2.

"If you are young and wish to be treated in a manner appropriate for a child let us know. Otherwise we will assume you are an adult and can withstand good-natured banter without taking offence."

"regardless of your experience and age we will try to treat you appropriately and would expect in return you can deal with some criticism and humour without offence"

Just toned it down a little.

GreyArea

Bobs edit is an improvement...I was typing something similar but fell foul of the 5 minute rule...5 mins is a long time between posts...I got sidetracked...

...squirrel!

Robin2

I am by no means fixated on my own original text, but the problem I have with @ballscrewbob's revision is that it takes the onus off the person to advise us of his/her youth.

Also, I am not trying to deal with the issue of criticism - that is an "Adult" activity (in the Parent, Adult, Child sense of those words). I want to deal with the Child aspect - so we can all enjoy ourselves.

What about
Unless you tell us that you are a young person we will assume you are an adult who is willing to deal with some good natured banter without taking offence

...R

Go Up