Go Down

Topic: A home for neophytes (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

jscott

Though I have a solid background in electronics I have had no programming experience. It has been great fun learning via the Arduino and it's IDE.

Most often my questions (to the forum) are answered carefully and politely. However, there are times my simplistic inquiries irritate or amuse. I fully understand how frustrating a newbie can be. However, unlike main stream languages that offer hundreds of text books for you to learn from there is almost no documentation (relatively) for the Arduino environment and language.

What I suggest is a new comers corner. This would be a place to hide the irritating questions that more advanced members find so offensive of comical. Those visiting that area would either be newcomers or those patient enough to help without discouraging.

Please understand, most of my experiences here have been very positive. However, I feel that many new hobbyist with a thinner skin than mine might be scared off.

AWOL

there is almost no documentation (relatively) for the Arduino environment and language.

Whilst the former is, I agree, niche, the latter is mainstream and well-covered.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

jscott

I stand corrected then. And my apologies to anyone I've inadvertently offended. Perhaps a small list of applicable study material would be helpful.

AWOL

Perhaps a small list of applicable study material would be helpful.

Kelley and Pohl's "A Book on C".
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Coding Badly

It has been great fun learning via the Arduino and it's IDE.

I feel the same way!  I just got a delivery of ten ATtiny45s.  All day I've been fighting the urge to slap one on a breadboard!

However, there are times my simplistic inquiries irritate or amuse.

Really?  Seems kind of the opposite to me.  I've seen REALLY poorly written questions get attention.  I've seen people being a nuisance get help.  I've seen ... well, you get the idea.

I fully understand how frustrating a newbie can be.

I don't think newbies are what frustrates most responders.  I think it's obvious laziness that puts off most folks.

Questions that can be answered by the first result from a simple Google search come to mind.  I mean, come on!  Is it REALLY that difficult to type two words into Google, click search, then click the first link!  ::) (Sorry.  Got a bit sidetracked. ;D)

However, unlike main stream languages that offer hundreds of text books for you to learn from there is almost no documentation (relatively) for the Arduino environment

I agree.

and language.

I disagree.  C(++) is well documented.  There is a plethora of books available.  There is well written material available on the Internet.  It wouldn't be a good use of anyone's time to regurgitate C syntax.

What I suggest is a new comers corner.

I don't think a separate forum area will help.

This would be a place to hide the irritating questions that more advanced members find so offensive of comical.

You've found replies to be offensive?  An advanced member ridiculed someone?

However, I feel that many new hobbyist with a thinner skin than mine might be scared off.

I suspect you're correct.

Other than a separate forum section, is there anything else that you think would help someone new to Arduino?  Something that would keep thinner-skinned newbies from being scared off?

Go Up