Go Down

Topic: User CP / Notifications (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hi, I've noticed that thread notifications sometimes report a "new" sign on threads that are long dead. It seems to me this is a (minor) bug. Anyone has seen this behaviour ?

if you havent read them they are technically new to you

on the main index page, on the bottom right there is a "mark all read" which should take care of that, at least for a little bit

I should have been more clear. The "new" signs appear also after I've read the threads.

Aug 23, 2010, 11:01 am Last Edit: Aug 23, 2010, 11:02 am by Andrew Reason: 1
The only time I see it is when a new user happens across a long dead thread, doesn't notice it happened in 2008 and enthusiastically posts to it.

Not necessarily a bad thing of course - new info does come to light all the time.

When I see these "new" tags the last message is always very old.

In that case, no, I never see that behaviour.

I've never seen that either.

The Seaker

I have never seen this either.

Doesn't the forum drop a cookie on your machine when you read a thread?  If you're deleting cookies (or not saving them), perhaps it won't know if you've read it or not.

I'm always "logged in", and I don't delete cookies.
But your comment suggested me this: maybe I'm hitting the cookie space limit of the browser and some of the (the older ones) get deleted. I'll have to check what yabb2 puts in my basket.

I should add that I'm "always logged in" on a number of firefox installations on different pcs (four if I remember correctly). So the issue might be related to the fact that I never logout of the forum on a pc before logging in on another one: I'm always authenticated but access the site from different ips and probably with different cookies.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131