Go Down

Topic: BEGINNERS: We rarely write code for you, but will help you write it for yourself (Read 11109 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, know-it-alls, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

RIN67630

The good thing with an Arduino, is that the learning cuve is not that steep.

If you have got basic knowledge in physics and just a basic understanding of how to code, you may get some results pretty quickly.
That is because we are working rather close to bare metal and control everything directly.

With more elaborated systems like a Raspberry Pi under Linux you must have digested so much conventions, and rules before you ever can begin to code, that you get stuck very fast to nothing more than printing stuff on the console.

That advantage turns also to be our problem, since many noobs get more stuff done here and gets appetite, but are still noobs.

lastchancename

I just read back across this thread - and realised...
For the 20,000 newbies on the forum, vs the 2000 old lags...

The lags have wrtitten far more than 10x the volume of advice than the newbies have considered and posted questions.  It should be the othe way around.

This suggests the newbies are not reading / can't read, don't understand or aren't interested in learning/understanding...  Wrong hobby for some of them.

My footer says a lot.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, know-it-alls, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Mudgel

I could only get through page 1.
Let me say that as a newbie aged 65 this first page is so discouraging to me. I don't think I could pass the "supply the correct information" criteria. I'd sure be scared of the rebuke for any failure to measure up.
Certainly not a warm friendly place.
While I will continue to read, my participation will likely remain at this single post.

Robin2

I'd sure be scared of the rebuke for any failure to measure up.
Don't worry about it. If it's clear that you are making an effort you will get a very friendly response. The regulars here really do want to encourage newcomers.

Unfortunately there are many examples of questions from people who have made no effort themselves and just expect to have everything done for them.

If you are unsure then I suggest you first write a draft of your question using your text editor so you can read it back to yourself asking the question "will someone who does not know anything about my project understand this?". When you are satisfied with the text then you can post it as a question.

It is also a good idea to read through several Threads (even if they are not relevant to your problem) to see how the Forum works.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GoForSmoke

Let me say that as a newbie aged 65 this first page is so discouraging to me. I don't think I could pass the "supply the correct information" criteria. I'd sure be scared of the rebuke for any failure to measure up.
While I will continue to read, my participation will likely remain at this single post.
This thread is about having someone else not just help you but write the sketch for you.
As to supply the correct information, in my experience loose spec is how you spend forever rewriting to moving open goals.

Start simple with simple goals and you can work up from there. I know it goes slower with age/condition, I have both but not new to code.

The RESOURCES pulldown menu in this forum is the door to loads of learning mostly for beginners. The TUTORIALS sub menu gets the FOUNDATIONS section to give a solid footing and the BUILT-IN EXAMPLES sections... save yourself time and go through sections 1,2,3 and 5 but not section 4 as it teaches the bad on Arduino habit of using String variables. You can use em but you can regret it.
The sketches are small and already loaded in your IDE under File->Examples menu, no typing. If you don't have the parts to make a sketch work then see the next one and don't forget that Arduino boards do have a led and resistor on pin 13.
The REFERENCE section will let you check out functions that you don't completely know when reading examples. It's a good idea to keep a browser open with the Arduino Reference in a tab and whatever other pages suit your sketch in other tabs all ready to check and easy to make the letters bigger. You have the IDE and references right on hand then.

Once you get writing a lot of code, it will be the compiler that smacks you down often, telling you how wrong you are.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

ChrisTenone

I hear ya man!

This is a tough forum. You've got to speak clearly, tell us what you've got and don't be afraid to answer questions. Just like back when we were in school, eh? But don't be discouraged! If you can make yourself be understood, then we are more than willing to listen. The angst you here in the intro is directed at those kids who say "I have problems. Check out the youtubes (with no links) and you will know my pain. Fix it for me."

At 65, I figure you know all about telling your story so it can be understood. The "how to" post at the top of the forum is written for astute people like you - hit one or two points, then you are golden! Explain your problem, show us what you have done, and ask for help - that's all it takes.
What, I need to say something else too?

GoForSmoke

But when you ask, be prepared to try something or look something up or answer questions yourself.

Too many times the OP just repeats the plea and remains helpless, essentially begging someone do it for them. Often as not it's for a school grade, see the forum rules about how far you can go with tips if you're not sure.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Go Up