Robotics

Hi friends ,
I am very new to this platform,
I want to make one simple robot,
which moves by itself, which detects obstacles ( like Wall ) and turns by itself, which is integrated with a camera and takes snaps periodically.
These are the minimum features I suppose to implement in my robot.

Can anybody please let me know , how can I start? little bit information on hardware/Software required and how to use them?

steps need to be followed for making a robot using Arduino ??

Please help me.

Thanks and Regards,
Sadanand.

which detects obstacles ( like Wall ) and turns by itself, which is integrated with a camera and takes snaps periodically

Ok lets get 1 thing clear first.
U want to detect obstacles with camera or sensors?

Hello GregaG,
Thanks for your quick response .

Yes I want to detect obstacles using sensors.
I think that will be easier , because through camera means I have to do image processing and all other stuff.
So It will be difficult for me as I am a beginner .

So using sensors I want to detect obstacles.

Thanks & Regards,
Sadanand.

I think that will be easier , because through camera means I have to do image processing and all other stuff.

Just so that we are clear, arduino is to weak at this stage to do image processing.

As u said, ur new to this platform and i dont know how much of electrical knowledge u have.

Now for first robot i would do something simple with 2 or 4 weels, first without any object detection, like here

Now u can use DC motors or steppers, stepper motors are a bit more advanced to use, but might spare u some problems later.

Now it depends what sensors u wanna use, Ultrasonic Module Range Detection like here

In this case ull need to proly use a servo as well.

Or u can use IR leds and IR receivers, in which case u drive IR leds with a NE555 timer at a certain frequency and when u aproach to the object close enought Ir receiver outputs logic lvl 1 on output.

Or the most simple way is with normal switches. like this movie (not made with arduino, but just to show concept)

Basic principle avoiding obstacles.

Now as ur new maybe do some tuturials, some usefull links
http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/10-arduino-duemilanove-compatible-starter-kit.html
at the bottom of the page( its free, the ebook i mean :P)

http://roguescience.org/wordpress/?page_id=33
or a bunch of tuturials, but i think the above 3 especially the ebook on first link is great, cause u might get a bit lost on freeduino

I would recommend if u try to do some stuff out of that ebook, so that u athleast have some idea about coding and then go to making robot.

Btw maybe u should consider asking admin to move the topic to a more appropriate section :smiley:

Thank you very much GregaG
Very useful information.
Sure I will start the work soon,
I will get back If I need more help.

Thanks & Regards,
Sadanand.

GregaG, please stop abbreviating 'you' to 'u' (and other abbreviations). Typing out full words does not take much longer and it would make your posts look a lot better.
Also, I suggest you use a web browser with an auto spell-checker.

Mowcius

Come on mowcius, this isn't Grammar school. Not everyone has the patience to type all that. Especially when typing through a cellphone, it's very tedious to type full words. Even I'm typing through my cellphone.

I highly doubt he is using a mobile phone to write that by all the links in it.

Yes you can say that there is no need but it keeps the forum nice if people try to spell correctly and not use 'txt speak' in comments.

For another forum it may be appropriate but on this forum I do not feel it would be a good way to go.

Sadanand, sorry for using your thread for this.

GregaG, please stop abbreviating 'you' to 'u' (and other abbreviations). Typing out full words does not take much longer and it would make your posts look a lot better.
Also, I suggest you use a web browser with an auto spell-checker.

Note taken!
Will try to stop using abbreviations, cant promise about grammar mistakes as english is my second language.

I'll let you off then. :wink:

I agree with mowcius's assesment that it is better to use properly spelled words and proper grammar. Even if it is on a phone, this forum has many people on it from all parts of the world spanning all age groups. Using abbreviated words will decrease your chances of a large portion of the community even bothering to read your post. I for one, do not give help to those who don't take the time to try and do a decent job of making a post.

As for this topic, I'd suggest the original poster to make a post in the bar sport or frequently asked questions forum. More people check those forums. I reckon you'll get more detailed advice and suggestions there aswell.
Probably best to create a new topic there with a link to this one, as to avoid cross-posting for the sake of cross-posting.