Go Down

Topic: Code-friendlier wiki ? (Read 2240 times) previous topic - next topic

mromani

So you've got this nice piece of code that you factored out of your last big project into a library. You were careful to make it general enough to be useful for others, and would like to share it.
Now you've got three options:
- create a wiki account and write a nice library page; you'll get no comments on your code, and it'll appear as an almost-official lib, which you feel is too much of a status for your just released class; plus, editing a wiki page with code, comments and decent formatting needs some time to get used to;
- start a new topic in the "library" thread; you'll get nice "well done" or "thank you" comments but your code will soon sink under the pile of new topics; you can still reference the thread in the wiki index pages, though;
- you host your code on github or sourceforge, and post a link in one of the wiki index pages and in the library thread too; not the easiest way to share a couple of c++ files and less than 1k lines of code.

To be clear: this is NOT a rant, it's how I see the situation now. Feel free to correct me :-)
Some 2 cents to improve the code-friendliness of the forum:
- post some code with structured comments (e.g. a simplified javadoc-like syntax) and have code and comments automatically formatted in a nice-looking and easy to read way;
- allow users to comment code, e.g. allowing comments on wiki pages.
- syntax coloring (low priority but useful imho)

To summarize: I think Arduino has a good library offering, but I feel contributing and reviewing code is still a little more difficult than it should be. Improving this side of the website can lead to more and better contributed code.

Thanks for reading :-)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy