Go Down

Topic: Control when current can flow (Read 4539 times) previous topic - next topic

You may also be able to put 2 LEDs in series with a single resistor with a 5 V source (depends on the LED voltage drop). That would cut your current draw in half.
Making some assumptions:
17mA current flow desired
Vce - 0.5V,voltage drop across the transistor when on
Vled = 2V, voltage drop across the LED when on
Vsource = 5V, as shown on your schematic

Applying Ohms law, V=IR or V/I = R to calculate Rlimit:
(Vsource - Vled - Vled - Vce)/current = Rlimit
(5V -2V - 2V - 0.5)/.017 = 29.4ohm. so use a 30 or 33 ohm resistor
So, look into your specs for the LED and transistor to be used and calculate the current limit resistors needed.
Power rating needed will be small - with 0.5V across the resistor & 17mA, the resistor is only dissipating 8.5mA (P=IV, so 0.017 * 0.5), so 1/8W resistors are fine.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Connections into the base still not right.

As far as what "CrossRoads" said earlier. I use the following web site for easy LED diagrams:

It is a wizard that will calculate how many LED's can go in series and what resistor value to use. It also has a single LED version. Great tool.
Just for future knowledge.
Resistance is Futile

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131