Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATTiny85 arduinoisp problem  (Read 10505 times)
Norman, OK, USA!
Klingon Machinist
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Ok, perhaps I am being a bit thick here....

I've been using two different Arduino compatibles as ISP devices to both load bootloaders to m328's and load sketches to t85's.

I have read a lot about disabling the reset. Yet I've not done this. Everything works as fine. Or so appears to. Which is why I am confused. Is this procedure to disable the reset only applicable to the Uno??

I have a USBasp board that I've also used to upload hex files to t85's. I've not been able to get that to work under the IDE (Yes, I added the usbasp to the boards file and the programmers text files)

M.S.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Which is why I am confused.

You're not alone.

Is this procedure to disable the reset only applicable to the Uno??

Disabling auto-reset should be necessary for any board that has a bootloader installed.  In order for the Arduino ISP sketch to work correctly, it has to be the party that responds to AVRDUDE.  In theory, if auto-reset is working correctly, when AVRDUDE goes to work...

- It opens the serial port
- Causing the board to reset
- Starting the bootloader
- Making the bootloader the party that interacts with AVRDUDE

With auto-reset disabled, when AVRDUDE goes to work...

- It opens the serial port
- And the board does NOT reset
- So Arduino ISP, which is already running, is the party that interacts with AVRDUDE

I have a USBasp board that I've also used to upload hex files to t85's. I've not been able to get that to work under the IDE (Yes, I added the usbasp to the boards file and the programmers text files)

If you'd like help getting this to work, you'll have to post details (error messages, symptoms, steps; you know the routine  smiley-wink).

Norman, OK, USA!
Klingon Machinist
View Profile

Alrighty then. As I am able to upload bootloaders and sketches to other boards using either my Seeeduno or Diavolino as the ISP I'm still confused.... (Or I should say happy that it works! smiley-wink) Or more than likely I'm yet again misunderstanding something....

One of the strengths of the Arduino community is the absolutely huge amount of information out there.

One of the pains of the Arduino community is the absolutely huge amount of information out there.   smiley-mr-green

you know the routine

Yup. I do. I'll get around to that a bit later on. I'd love to just leave the USBasp plugged in and just burn-baby-burn. For now I'm juggling three work projects...

M.S.

Freediving, spearfishing, alt energy, motion control, christian
View Profile

Are you certain that you've correctly loaded the Arduino ISP Sketch and disabled auto-reset?

Thanks for that tip… there's nothing on the MIT page about disabling auto-reset.  Thankfully I'm using a Seeduino board where the auto/manual reset is set by a switch!

Before, I had the warning: "Wrong microcontroller found. Did you select the right board from Tools > Board menu?"

Now it works like a charm.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: