Go Down

Topic: Domino Clock (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Don't know, never used the DS1307, can you send a linkt to a datasheet?  The drawing looks very nice.
I believe you have the right arduino pins (or at worst they are swapped).

For push buttons, why not use the internal pullups and switch to ground instead? Save on a few parts.
Which pins are PC0 & PC5? Aren't those the analog pins?
You already have A5 committed to SCL above, so that wouldn't be a good choice for an input pin.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

stregoi

Great Then ! yes the PC0 and the PC5 are analog pins, so i guess i will just use PC0 and PC3 wich is analog too.

i just did a little research about using internal pull-ups, but i cant see the logic in saving parts, because as far as i understood i will still using 2 push buttons and to resistors.

and the datascheet for the RTC is : http://www.datasheetdir.com/DS1307+download

CrossRoads

With the internal pullups, you only need the switch.
With the switch open, the pin is pulled high internally and reads as 1.
To get 0 you close the switch to ground.  No external resistors needed.

You can use digital pins for switch closures like this as well, doesn't have to go into an analog pin.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

stregoi

Sounds Very good, i guess i will stick with the 2 push up buttons to set the hours and the minutes, it is much easier for me to understand, the newbee as i am :)
I guess my hardware part is done .. thanks for a big help, i learned a lot.

now i have to move to the coding part, and i guess i will read the earlier post you answered earlier, i should learned something from there, since i guess it will fit with what i am doing.

i will surely ask for more help :) ... and i will publish my steps so others can learn something too :)

stregoi

Feb 23, 2011, 11:46 pm Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011, 11:49 pm by stregoi Reason: 1
i Guess you should take a look at the the FP2880A is kind of smart and can be used to control the flip-dots, here is the dokumentation :

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/320/500899_DS.pdf

but there is no much information / projects with it in google.

Now for the code :) .... i've been studying the code from the original thread, from the biginning i can't understand this part of code :

Code: [Select]
//Data Lines to the hour stone
int hlatchPin = 3;
int hclockPin = 4;
int hdataPin = 5;

//Data Lines to the decimal minute stone
int dlatchPin = 6;
int dclockPin = 7;
int ddataPin = 8;

//Data Lines to the single minute stone
int mlatchPin = 9;
int mclockPin = 10;
int mdataPin = 11;

as far as i understood we are hooking ALL the 75HC595's to only 3 output pins ( latch / clock / data ) witch are ( 8 / 11 / 12 ),
In the code why are we defining 6 output pins from the adruino ? is it because every to 74HC595 are going to be hooked to three pin's in the adruino ( 2 shift registers at  3 / 4 / 5 ) ( 2 shift registers at  6 / 7 / 8 )( 2 shift registers at  9 / 10 / 11 )?

Go Up