Go Down

Topic: Measuring distances with the IMU sensor MPU6050 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

celsoscomparim

Hello,
I have been searching the last days, informations and documentations about the IMU sensor MPU6050 from Invensense. I would like to use this sensor to measuring distance, like a motion tracking ,for example: if the board with the sensor moves 1 meter, I want to calculate this 1 meter from the data receiveid from the MPU6050, the data doesn't need to be very accurate. I found a lote of aplication with static moviment, moving static cubes for example, but I didn't find any aplication example mensuring distance.
According to my search the sensor give the digital-output of 6 or 9-axis MotionFusion data in rotation matrix, quaternion, Euler Angle, or raw data format, but how can I calculate the distance from this data.

Please, could one that is familiar with IMU sensors ou familiar with complex math, could give me an ideia to start my project? I would like to have some example, but if isn't possible, any information about mensuring distance with MPU6050 will be welcome.

Thank you very much!
Celso

jremington

Jun 01, 2014, 12:52 am Last Edit: Jun 01, 2014, 05:34 am by jremington Reason: 1
Inexpensive IMUs can tell you what direction they are moving and if you know the velocity, it is easy to calculate distance.

In principle it is possible to estimate the velocity and distance from the acceleration by double integration, but in practice with hobby-type accelerometers, this works for only very short distances before the estimate becomes hopelessly inaccurate. For a clear explanation, see this page: http://www.chrobotics.com/library/accel-position-velocity

sunnynanade

Hello, did you find any way out ??
Thank You. :)

Go Up