Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE modification to support Assembly Language (Read 80 times) previous topic - next topic

jal492

Hi All,

I want to learn how to program an Arduino (Atmel Atmega328P) in Assembly - to learn about the underlying code that is generated during compilation, to be able to hand-optimise critical code sections for speed and space when necessary, also because it is interesting to investigate the relationship between what the microcontroller is doing and the code running it.

A while ago I came across an excellent resource on YouTube by Dr Robert Paz (here), who explained a way to modify the Arduino IDE to work with assembly files directly. However, following these instructions, I discovered that the relevant Java source to change to make this possible seems to have been revised between versions (the sections to edit have been removed/relocated/replaced). Not being at all fluent in Java, I was wondering whether anyone knows how this might be accomplished in the current version (1.6.5 at the time of writing)?

Thanks,

jal492

Robin2

whether anyone knows how this might be accomplished in the current version (1.6.5 at the time of writing)?
Why not use an older version of the IDE?

It is easy to have several versions on your PC - they are just Java programs.

...R

jal492

Hi Robin2,

You know, I hadn't even considered that! My gut instinct is to avoid doubling up on installed software, because of the potential for conflicts and accidents/mistakes in use, but that's a pretty good option to achieve what I want to achieve; I'll look into it.

Thanks!

jal492

Go Up