Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Good new topic  (Read 3235 times)
nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

OK so here we are at the new forum, as I'm into home/building automation I like having an area about this subject.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:43:15 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

Hi,
I'm thinking about replacing my present home automation stuff with an arduino (maybe Mega).. I have a system that works for me but it's Time.. It's been running 20+ years on the same IBM AT with a bunch of sensors and optically isolated In/Out. lotsa Pascal code.  Time To Go, and Time to get On The Net!

I'll be reading the mail here...

(GrayerThanU)  smiley

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Hi Terry,

I'm working on a network for this at present (me and a 1000 other people probably). If you're interested have a look at

http://busnet.robgray.com

It's got a bit complicated and probably more than most people are into, but what else am I going to do in my spare time?

I'm also working on the design for a Mega-style board with LCD touch, hardened IO, inbuilt RS485 etc for use as a controller.

______
Rob

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You may want to look at the below forum. A lot of gizmo ideas have been posted over the years.

http://forums.homeseer.com/index.php

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

Hi,
I'm thinking about replacing my present home automation stuff with an arduino (maybe Mega).. I have a system that works for me but it's Time.. It's been running 20+ years on the same IBM AT with a bunch of sensors and optically isolated In/Out. lotsa Pascal code.  Time To Go, and Time to get On The Net!

I'll be reading the mail here...

(GrayerThanU)  smiley

I did a lot of AT programming back in the day. Arduino reminds me of those days!

Seattle, WA
God Member
View Profile

I'm working on a network for this at present (me and a 1000 other people probably). If you're interested have a look at

http://busnet.robgray.com

Wow, this is intense.  Inspiring.  Nicely done!  When I get my wireless mesh network up and running, I am going to have to put a site like this!  smiley 

And yeah to your point about wireless nodes, I am headed toward a $17.50 per node cost, although that includes a full-fledged Arduino clone so of course it's available to do lots of other things too, but many nodes won't be using the full power.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Yes there are all sorts of arguments for/against wire/wireless. Getting the right granularity is always a problem. $17.50 is very good but still too much to dedicate to a single light switch I guess.

With my design I should be able to do a simple node about 12x12mm in size (no idea about $ though), but then of course I need to have wires.

I'm not ignoring wireless though, I plan to have "gateways" for the various wireless options, mind you that's a LONG way off.

BTW my Mega design is finished, RTC, LCD touch screen and built in RS485/232/i2c networking hardware amongst other stuff. I plan to use this as my automation controller.
______
Rob
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:48:36 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Seattle, WA
God Member
View Profile

$17.50 is very good but still too much to dedicate to a single light switch I guess.

Yeah, for light switches, I was thinking X10, and then I just need X10 gateways that could control a handful of lead nodes.

STILL that's like $10 for those nodes, which isn't going to compare to a hand-rolled solution.  Maybe I need to make my own X10 smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: