Go Down

Topic: (solved) Arduino Uno Rev. 3 + Ethernet shield W5200 (Read 3248 times) previous topic - next topic

corben80

Apr 24, 2015, 09:13 am Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015, 09:16 am by corben80
Thanks again for your advices...

This is the very first Arduino project for me, so everything is new. As usual, I'll study what you proposed and see what happens!

Thanks,
Marco

PS: I didn't notice the difference in version of the library, I was sure I was using the library from SeeedStudio, but that was the one linked in the product Wiki... Anyway I tried also the version in Git but for some reason it was not working... Maybe some other steps were missing, like the SPI correct PIN setting.

Solano

Hello,

First of all, sorry for refloating this old post but I was looking for exactly the same problem, helped me a lot and just wanted to add my two cents.

I also have the original Arduino UNO and bought a ethernet shield with the new w5200 ethernet IC, like the one in the image:

edit: I just checked the library, and it does not do anything about the reset and power down pins.

However, on the Seeed Studio Ethernet Shield V2, the reset and power down pins are not connected to an Arduino digital pin. PWDN (Power Down) is connected to ground, and RESET is connected to 3.3v.

If you use the DFRobot Ethernet shield with the w5200, you must set the RESET (D8 HIGH) and PWDN (D9 LOW) pins.

Check your shield's schematic carefully.
Indeed, that shield I posted has connected digital pins in the arduino to the w5200 IC as Corben80 posted.
Finally the thing to make it works you need to do is a reset to the w5200 IC as pointed.
Code: [Select]
  #define PWDN  9  // Connected to GND through a 10k resistor (R13)
  #define nINT  3  // Connected to 3V3 through a 10k resistor (R6)
  #define nRST  8  // Connected to 3V3 through a 10k resistor (R4)
  pinMode(nRST,OUTPUT);
  //the others two pins are not necessary, just there to rememeber how they are connected.
  digitalWrite(nRST,LOW);  //Reset W5200
  delay(10);
  digitalWrite(nRST,HIGH); 
  delay(200);       // wait W5200 work

Somehow the EthernetV2_0 library from seeed studio does not cover this reset action needed for this shield.

Thanks both for the information,

S.

corben80

Hi Solano,

sorry to arrive so late, but now it seems that the DFRobots shields are working, but when I use the SeeedStudio original ethernet shields (with or without these additional settings) it doesn't... I was curious about which shield are you using...

Thanks!

treborjm87

I've tried the SeeedStudio v2.2 with no success as well. I have two of these dated Feb 2014

I'm trying with a Leonardo tho.

Since I ONLY have two Leonardo to try, is there an SS pin conflict that I'm not aware of?

I have tried SurferTim's SPI test with no results.  Can it be possible that two separate cards (SPI specifically) are bad?

Thanks!

SurferTim

Is it possible you are using a library that doesn't support the w5200? The IDE ethernet library does not support the w5200. This one does with a mod to the w5100.h file.
https://github.com/Wiznet/WIZ_Ethernet_Library
You must modify the defines in the /utility/w5100.h file.
Code: [Select]
Change this
//#define W5100_ETHERNET_SHIELD // Arduino Ethenret Shield and Compatibles ...
//#define W5200_ETHERNET_SHIELD // WIZ820io, W5200 Ethernet Shield
#define W5500_ETHERNET_SHIELD // WIZ550io, ioShield series of WIZnet

// to this
//#define W5100_ETHERNET_SHIELD // Arduino Ethenret Shield and Compatibles ...
#define W5200_ETHERNET_SHIELD // WIZ820io, W5200 Ethernet Shield
//#define W5500_ETHERNET_SHIELD // WIZ550io, ioShield series of WIZnet

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy