Go Down

Topic: Enhanced Serial Monitor - ESM4 new error reporting system (Read 6026 times) previous topic - next topic

acboother

I have added an example of how to check if a serial port is connected and open with an Arduino. From the example help file...

Echo demonstration

This shows a method by which the Arduino can determine if it is connnected to a serial port.

One technique is to send the Arduino a message from the IDE serial monitor. However, this also requires a person to be "attached" to the IDE to make this work and it is not so easy to ensure when, if at all, the message gets sent.

The approach with ESM4 is to have the Arduino send a message back to back to the ESM which it will then respond by sending a message back to the Arduino. If the message isn't received then it isn't connected.

Download version 4.0.0.4 from the first posting.

Also returned the vSerialRead function to its previous state where it didn't need to process the serial input in two different ways depending on whether you wanted support for a wireless or not wireless connection to ESM4. The parsing of the input string is now moved to _esp.cpp library function.

Cheers Ala.

acboother

I've been working on customised visualisers/scripts for a little while for very specific applications (which only pop up if the correct messages are sent to the ESM so don't expect to see any new forms unless you are involved in these projects).

I am now back on the project so if there are features that anyone thinks would be of general interest please let me know and I will add them to my list for consideration.

Also if there is something very specific to your project please also consider getting in touch with me. I may be able to help.

Alan

acboother

ESM version 4.0.2.0 is now available for download from http://alanboother.co.uk/project-cafe/esm4/_ESM4.0.2.0%7B97F83AC2%7D.zip

The big change in this release is the introduction of "Projects" and a few minor changes and a bug fix or two.

A Project in ESM terms is a regularised way to write sketches, scripts, help files and reset files. The ESM will write a complete running system, including the sketch file which will compile and run without modification. This makes it easy to get started, see how to use the features of the ESM. All these files can all be modified to suit your particular project. You don't have to use the project approach and you can still just open up the ESM and use it as a smart serial monitor. Generated files come from templates which you can also modify to be more suitable to your own style.

The basic generated sketch shows how to communicate from ESM to Arduino and from Arduino to ESM, update DATA on the ESM and use it next time the Arduino sketch starts, switch the serial output on and off, automatically refresh data in the help screen which can also be used to update messages back to the Arduino…

The help files are a really convenient way to add in project support information either for end users or during development.

Each project now has its own independent DATA.

Smaller changes to the XY plot visualiser include support for the drawing commands found in the DRAW visualiser (LINE, PIE, TEXT etc) and a position cursor.

The SWP visualiser now records the data that appears in the view and may be replayed after you have adjusted the y axis scales and offsets. Useful in case you missed something important because you hadn't set the axis to the best values before capturing the data.

The main help file has been rewritten.

The folder structure has been cleaned up and so it is recommended that a clean installation into the Arduino libraries folder is carried out and then any files you may have created copied back into it.

A really convenient tweak in this release is the automatic sending of messages indicating the COM port is opened or is closing. This allows you write your sketch to perform differently whether its connected to serial input/output or not - should that be important to you.

Cheers
Alan

acboother

25th June 2018

ESM version 4.0.3.0 now available for download from http://alanboother.co.uk/project-cafe/esm4/_ESM4.0.3.0{E29BA8E2}.zip

THE big improvement this release is error reporting! When the ESM fails to recognise or process a message the error is reported in the main monitor form along with some information as to why it may be wrong. Also used when trying to send messages to the Arduino when the COM port isn't open. The display turns to red text when an error is noticed and a red button shows on the form making it hard to miss. Pressing the button clears the text back to default colour.

Also the directory structure has been simplified so it would be best to install this version afresh and then copy any of your own files back in.

When the ESM starts this is now a project which further simplifies the use of the ESM.

Also a couple of minor bug fixes.

I recommend you unzip the file into your Arduino library folder ersulting in a folder called _ESM4.0.0.3.0

Go Up