Poll
Question: What shall we do about Karma in the forum  (Voting closed: February 14, 2011, 07:39:29 am)
keep it as it is with plus and minus karma - 91 (26.5%)
give people only positive karma - 97 (28.3%)
remove it completely - 110 (32.1%)
look for an alternative like allowing people comment on why a message is good or bad - 45 (13.1%)
Total Voters: 343

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Karma  (Read 15412 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The most likely outcome is that the negative Karma value will become a pretty meaningless indicator of how much a particular individual is "teased"...
Heh, yeah but new people to the forum don't know that.

Hyderabad , India
God Member
can't help not to think arduinaizing something !
View Profile

i dont think this karma will matter much ! people on this forum can  recognaise a person based on the quality of posts they make even  a newbie looks at the karma he will give you positive karma for helping him out

Devon, UK
Arduino rocks my socks, yes the socks are rocking!
View Profile

To solve it further could there be a time based limit on how much bad karma one user can give another user?

There is some sort of time-out for karma. But i'm not sure exactly what is timed-out or for how long?

One user can give a max of +/- 10 karma to any particular user in 24 hours?

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Anyway, our views are shown in the poll

One user can give a max of +/- 10 karma to any particular user in 24 hours?
More like +/-1 per person in 24 hours

Auburn, CA, USA
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

My suggestion, which has probably already come up: if someone gives karma, a short message (100 characters perhaps?) must be attached to the post in question, along with what rating that person gave. In theory, this lets the person being rated know why they got that rating, and it gives incentive to rate someone with confidence rather than whenever they feel like it.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

My suggestion, which has probably already come up:

Yes, that seems to be the forth (and least popular) choice in the poll.

Lefty

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

OK! Who's doing that?
Every time I get a positive karma, someone down votes me.
BTW The smileys are too small.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Auburn, CA, USA
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

My suggestion, which has probably already come up:

Yes, that seems to be the forth (and least popular) choice in the poll.

Lefty

But the options are flawed. Option 4 implies that the entire karma system get thrown out, while what I'm suggesting keeps it around and adds what I believe to be necessary improvements.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

But the options are flawed. Option 4 implies that the entire karma system get thrown out, while what I'm suggesting keeps it around and adds what I believe to be necessary improvements.
I little it has to be said...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think anyone intelligent can tell who the forum moderators or long time users are.  I think that electronic answers should sell themselves.

I've been on boards which had a rating system like Karma.  They were immature users who tried to run the forum, reporting on users who disagreed with them and trying to get them into trouble.  A rating system doesn't show a love and respect / non judgmental attitude.  The forum should just be filled with nice people trying to help and stop wasting time with extra non-information like a rating system.  If you need a rating system then the moderators and owners of this system are not in touch or involved with the users.

Unless you have some professionals here with college degrees in electrical engineering then why rate people who don't know what they are doing anyway?  It doesn't make sense.  Most of my questions went unanswered on the last version of this forum and the questions that were answered were not fully answered to my expectations.  It means you get a "D" from me so I wouldn't agree with the rating system here or take it very seriously.

I consider the karma system "noise" and have to give the rating system proposal negative karma because I should be treated with love and respect and not judgment from hypocricy.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

By the way. We had karma where you could see who voted you up or down. What a mess that was. I would not recommend it.
Also it is technically possible to see who voted for you, but we are not going to show it for the time being.
That sounds like a good decision.

If I decide to log in once a day and vote you down with bad karma, is it a bad decision?  It wouldn't matter, right?  There are people who can use library computers, their mother's computer, their work computers, etc.  They can alter the vote.  Seriously, the karma vote doesn't mean anything.

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

a feature where members can tag a particular posting as "Kudos" (a light-bulb icon) or "Solution" (a big green check mark), etc. I find that far more useful than a simple accumulation of + o r- "brownie-points" where we not only don't know who gave them, but for WHAT. On a member

That system sounds like it makes lot of sense. The Karma is just sort of vague.

I have noticed that often knowledgable people on this forum who are very active, give condescending answers to noobies asking badly formulated questions. Mind you, these answers will be perfectly helpful, and might even solve the problem, but nontheless, they may appear unfriendly to the person asking the question. ...is that now bad or good karma? It sort of mixes up manners/politness with helpfulnes/knowledge of the poster.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have noticed that often knowledgable people on this forum who are very active, give condescending answers to noobies asking badly formulated questions. Mind you, these answers will be perfectly helpful, and might even solve the problem, but nontheless, they may appear unfriendly to the person asking the question. ...is that now bad or good karma? It sort of mixes up manners/politness with helpfulnes/knowledge of the poster.
*cough* PaulS *cough* smiley-grin

Hyderabad , India
God Member
can't help not to think arduinaizing something !
View Profile

*cough* PaulS *cough* smiley-grin

resistors on led's smiley-wink ?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

a feature where members can tag a particular posting as "Kudos" (a light-bulb icon) or "Solution" (a big green check mark), etc. I find that far more useful than a simple accumulation of + o r- "brownie-points" where we not only don't know who gave them, but for WHAT. On a member

That system sounds like it makes lot of sense. The Karma is just sort of vague.

These two comments make a lot of sense, and are worthy of note by the 'decision makers'.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Jump to: