Go Down

Topic: Karma (Read 22914 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

There is no point in having a karma rating if the person being given feedback has no idea of what was considered good and what was considered bad. It is like trying to teach children by giving them one mark for all their work once a week. They don't know if they are getting the math, English or science wrong, they only know some things are wrong and other things are right. One of the purposes must be to improve advice and satisfaction with that advice and without feedback it is not going to happen.

CowJam

How on earth are you on -9 Mike?  Clearly it doesn't work right.

OSGrill

What they don't have is a flashing announcement that causes the page to linefeed up and down while you are reading.

I've never had that issue :/
you will if your window is not maxed or have a lower resolution setting.  it's rather annoying.

baum

Over 1k Views!

biocow

How to turn off Karma...

Install Stylish for FireFox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/) or Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe)

In settings click "Write a new style"

Copy and past this code:
Code: [Select]
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("arduino.cc") {

.karmaButtons {
    display: none;
  }

}

Save.

Done.
10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

biocow

Almost forgot...

10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

baum

Excellent work, biocow. But, as I mentioned before, people who have excellent Karma will proudly show it off, while others will hide theirs. But doesn't your trick only work for viewers?
We want ideally to have an option in which people can't see your karma, not that their browser doesn't display anyone's if they choose...

biocow

Sorry, I should explain.

Yes, it's only hidden for me. But I'm confident that it's going to be drastically changed if not removed completely. So I'm just going to ignore it for now. If/when it's changed in the future I'll just turn it back on. This way I won't get ulcers for the next 2 weeks until something is decided.
10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

Divyanshu

I really think karma isn't so necessary at all. I mean, you could just randomly press the  negative karma button even if the person is very helpful, like some jealous members with no karma. Is it so?
Probably it should've been only with the positive karma like "Rep" which I've seen in other forums.  :smiley-roll:
|I love Technology|

smeezekitty

Quote from: Coding Badly

I think the theory goes something like this...

A newbie comes to the forum.  She asks a question.  17 users reply.  All with more than 1000 posts each.  The advice is contradictory.  Who should she believe?

If fellow users really give "good karma" in response to "good advice" then the users with the highest karma are more likely to have given good advice so she should follow their advice first.

Why "she" ?
Quote from: biocow

(There are no girls on the internets.)

Sorry this is false.
There is infact girls on the internet, although there isnt any girls in arduino (or atleast they shouldn't be since they dont exactly make "good" programers)
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

baum

since they dont exactly make "good" programers

[Cough] No.

From wikipedia's page on ENIAC, the first true computer:

The six women who did most of the programming of ENIAC were inducted in 1997 into the Women in Technology International Hall of Fame. As they were called by each other in 1946, they were Kay McNulty, Betty Jennings, Betty Snyder, Marlyn Wescoff, Fran Bilas and Ruth Lichterman. Jennifer S. Light's essay, "When Computers Were Women" documents and describes the role of the women of ENIAC as well as outlines the historical omission or downplay of women's roles in computer science history.

smeezekitty

And thats why it didn't work that well  :)
Software deficiency rather then hardware deficiency LOL
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

David Cuartielles

I gotta say I am liking the discussion about the value of Karma and its usefulness. More than just getting something good out of it in terms of redesigning it or eliminating it, I think that we are going to see a good chance for the community to decide upon something. I can imagine having many more of this kind of thread to improve many other things in the system.

Thanks for the opinions so far, please keep on voting.

/d

dafid

I saw an something about cites today, explaining how they contribute to building scientific reputations...

I think it went something like -
   - the number of articles published is important - just like number of posts.
   - the number of references to your article by others in following articles is perhaps more important
This reference count is called 'cites' and is a big factor in reputation and hence $.

Of course there is a higher bar to get something published in science than on the Arduino forum..

But the citation count seems like a useful and easy to implement indicator of quality of posts.

David Cuartielles

Feb 01, 2011, 11:30 pm Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011, 11:32 pm by David Cuartielles Reason: 1
smeezekitty:

in the picture at the main site:

the hand you see there is from Clara, one of my lab assistants, she happens to be a girl that teaches Arduino at K3, Malmo University. There are girls in Arduino, I teach to a lot of them. How to get girls to contribute to the forum is a very important question that we should try to figure out how to solve.

I know LadyAda has been around for some time, as well as others, but we need to involve not just the role models, but also people like Clara, who are working with this on a daily basis.

/d

Go Up