Go Down

Topic: Karma (Read 22313 times) previous topic - next topic

baum

David:

What if you started a poll asking your gender. Then you can add a notice to the poll on the front page of the forum (just as you have for this post) and we can see how many girls are actually on the forum.

David Cuartielles

baum:

My point is that it's probably true there aren't that many women talking here, which is different from the question whether there are women using Arduino :-)

Anyway that is a different discussion, sorry for bringing the discussion out of topic.

/d

Coding Badly

But the citation count seems like a useful and easy to implement indicator of quality of posts.

It also indicates something that needs to go into a FAQ.

David: Is it possible to extract forum posts that contain a reference (a "cite") to another forum post?

Grumpy_Mike

It also indicates something that needs to go into a FAQ.

and also an indication that the poster didn't do a search first.

David Cuartielles

moderators have the ability to "split" posts, so it could be made

/d

lesto

we don't need a karma, we need a "like" button for post!!

for example: you are looking for a solution  and you find and old discussion with many possible solution.. what's the best solution? just look at the answer with more "like"!

maybe when you do a serch you can see how many like a discussione have inside:
so you can go directly at the discussion where probably there IS the solution  8)
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

smeezekitty

We better silence the gender issue so the thread does not turn into a flame war.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

dafid

Lesto: I like the like button  ^_^, it can indicate which old posts are good:).
'Like' can also contribute to the 'reputation' of the poster for later...

A 'reputation' indicator helps a newbie sort through todays answers that have not been liked yet.

Coding Badly: Citations can indicate that a FAQ entry exists; but is twice frequent?

Grumpy Mike:  Maybe the OP did not search so well before posting; part of good searches is knowing the right words to find your needle in the gazillion gigabytes on the net...; and if searches where the perfect answer why is there a forum.

There is another impact of a public citation count - there is an incentive towards good citizenship - a neat summarisation post containing the results of a thread once it is all confirmed (ie a proto faq entry) is likely to draw later citations and boost your reputation.

I see a lot of threads that fade away - presumably the OP has obtained an answer, but it is not reported.

Valalvax

Hey David, a little off topic, but I don't think it'll hurt this already offtopic thread

In the pic you linked, what's that sticker on the input and power pins?

prawnstar

a like for every somment would be ideal, as lesto said

wyager

The karma system is great, and BTW a system where you can see who gave you -karma creates a LOT of drama, a lot of forums I've been on get ruined by such systems. However, the anonymous karma system is great, it lets people see who gives good advice without having to do a lot of looking at their user history. Plus, if we ended up using a buy/sell/trade board (do we have one already?) a karma system lets people see who they can trust to buy from.

mowcius

Well it's a close call so far.

I feel that if the karma system is kept as + and - it will annoy rather a lot of people, if just + maybe not so many, if no karma system then some people might be a little annoyed but on the whole it'll be as it used to be and we'll all forget about it.

I'm not fussed if it goes or is just + or some kind of post by post 'like' system.

Grumpy_Mike

However, the anonymous karma system is great, it lets people see who gives good advice without having to do a lot of looking at their user history.

So that would suggest that I don't give good advice which I would strongly disagree with. After over 40 years in electronics I feel that I am on my way to mastering some aspects of the subject at least.

If my -ve karma is a result of people not liking me then that is a pity, but nothing to get upset about. However, if it is a result of people thinking my advice is bad then I would like the opportunity to explain to them further why they are wrong. Often there is not enough time in posts to explain the pros / cons and ins / outs of a situation but a need to offer a decision. That is what a lot of people want or need. Especially when you are a beginner as you don't have the ability to carefully consider sevral cources of action. My advice is always what I would do myself if I was in the posters position.

Others may want more of a detailed explanation of advice which I gladly give. I also have some web pages set up to help people that go into more detail than a post can offer.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/

The other problem is that the mark goes not on the individual reply but the poster as a whole. It's aggregated and that I think makes it less useful.

mowcius

So that would suggest that I don't give good advice which I would strongly disagree with. After over 40 years in electronics I feel that I am on my way to mastering some aspects of the subject at least.

I think people are just doing it cos they think it's funny - what am I on now -17?

AndyL

Just viewing this thread. I've used karma/smite on another board. It was fun in the begining, then I devised the Smite 'O' Matic to automate the smiting of a particular target. It was just left running and repeatedly decreased (or increased) a users karma. The forum had restrictions on how often you could smite someone so took a little while to work. Taking someone down to -400 then back up to +200 over a weekend was quite funny at the time and generated a lot of conversation about it. Using mutliple scripts caused it to operate faster as each was logged in as a different user. After a few weeks it got boring and eventually the admins removed the karma options.

If used properly the karma system can be good and would indicate that a user was helpful in their posts or posted intelligent, well thought out questions or requests. Anything else isnt going to help much.

Just my 50p worth (inflation!)

Cheers

Andy

Go Up