Go Down

Topic: Karma (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic

mowcius

then I devised the Smite 'O' Matic to automate the smiting of a particular target.

I considered this too but decided not to do anything as that would be mean :P

AndyL

I must add that I dont have any plans to resurect Smite 'O' Matic. It served its purpose a few years ago and now its consigned to history.

Cheers and thanks whoever smited me  :smiley-sad-blue:

Andy

jada

Whoa! this thread unknowingly took an hour of my time well the final thing would mostly have a like or thank button thats all ! now letss see how much karma do i get for posting here !  ;)

mowcius

Cheers and thanks whoever smited me

You seem to be doing ok... look at my -17!
now letss see how much karma do i get for posting here !

How much would you like? :D

mmcp42

just think how many posts would have been saved if karma never existed

(if a man posts in a forest will does he still get karma?!?)
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

prawnstar

Do it like on facebook

only like

they probably paid analysts or something to come up with the best solution, lets copy from them ?

lesto

uhh maybe it's time for a "like" poll?
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

smeezekitty

LOL @ mowcius. How did you get to -19?
Someone here is doing that because they think its funny.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

wyager

Feb 03, 2011, 12:14 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 12:15 am by wyager Reason: 1

However, the anonymous karma system is great, it lets people see who gives good advice without having to do a lot of looking at their user history.

So that would suggest that I don't give good advice which I would strongly disagree with. After over 40 years in electronics I feel that I am on my way to mastering some aspects of the subject at least.

If my -ve karma is a result of people not liking me then that is a pity, but nothing to get upset about. However, if it is a result of people thinking my advice is bad then I would like the opportunity to explain to them further why they are wrong. Often there is not enough time in posts to explain the pros / cons and ins / outs of a situation but a need to offer a decision. That is what a lot of people want or need. Especially when you are a beginner as you don't have the ability to carefully consider sevral cources of action. My advice is always what I would do myself if I was in the posters position.

Others may want more of a detailed explanation of advice which I gladly give. I also have some web pages set up to help people that go into more detail than a post can offer.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/

The other problem is that the mark goes not on the individual reply but the poster as a whole. It's aggregated and that I think makes it less useful.

Your karma really isn't that bad, and it's probably not because of your advice quality... However, I agree that sometimes it's helpful to know WHY people -karma'd you so you can try to avoid doing it again. Perhaps add an anonymous way to comment on why you gave the user a plus or minus karma? No drama, and as an added benefit it keeps trolls from -karma-ing you for no reason.

AlphaBeta

I think we should decide and define what the intention of a karmaesque feature (like, kudos, thank whatever).
Then we should label it to best indicate what the intention is.

I mean, what exactly do Karma 4 vs Karma 100 mean? It gets more fuzzy if you then discover that the person with 4 has 2 posts, and the one with 100 has posted 50; would that indicate the two being equally good forum citizens?

In my opinion, there are still no good arguments for why we need a global counter like this, and how to make it indicate what is expected of it.
Egoistically smiting someone is always the 'best' choice as it makes your own position better in the Arduino ecology.

Coding Badly

Feb 03, 2011, 12:23 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 12:30 am by Coding Badly Reason: 1
Perhaps add an anonymous way to comment on why you gave the user a plus or minus karma?

Two things...

1. That will lead to a rash of pointless comments such as "ljkadf" and "   ".

2. This is a relatively friendly forum centered on a relatively uncontroversial technical topic.  Anonymity brings no benefit.  If there are constructive critisms to be levied they can be done directly through personal messages.  If there is ever a time when anonymity is needed, the message can be delivered through an impartial third party (a moderator).

well the final thing would mostly have a like or thank button thats all

Which can also be accomplished by clicking Reply, typing "Thanks", and clicking Save.   Or, if that's too much effort, shortened to clicking Reply, clicking  8), and clicking Save.

CowJam

I'm not sure I can cope with this thread rumbling on until (at least) valentines day  :~

AlphaBeta

Or, if that's too much effort, shortened to clicking Reply, clicking  8), and clicking Save.

8)

smeezekitty

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

bHogan

Feb 03, 2011, 12:58 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 01:00 am by BroHogan Reason: 1
Personally I think this karma thing is driving everyone nuts!
It's got people questioning their self worth, and those that admit to the fun of arbitrary smiting.

I think it's a classic example of a solution in search of a problem.

Are people getting deluged with so much contradictorily advise that they need more metrics to decide which to follow?

As I said before, the only benefit (perhaps the real goal) of this karma thing is that it might make some more civil to new people. And in the rare case that would help, it's far outweighed, in my opinion, by the angst, bad wah , and just plain noise, a karma system will bring.
"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

Go Up