Go Down

Topic: Karma (Read 23014 times) previous topic - next topic

jada

if people  like mowcius and Grumpy_Mike and other highly valued members are getting negative karma then lets get away with it ASAP !

GlennD

I do have the highest +karma though - maybe people are just feeling sorry for me :D

Mowcius
I went through a bunch of your posts yesterday, too understand why your negative karma was going up.  

I didn't see an obvious reason so I did add a positive. Could be a previous life thing. :D

Glenn
"Some cause happiness wherever they go;
others, whenever they go.." - Oscar Wilde

mowcius

Mowcius
I went through a bunch of your posts yesterday, too understand why your negative karma was going up. 

I didn't see an obvious reason so I did add a positive. Could be a previous life thing. :D

Heh, perhaps.

Anyway I am always trying to aspire to be better but it is a bit annoying at the moment posting responses to people's questions - all this negative karma might be affecting their judgement :s

Onions

By the way. We had karma where you could see who voted you up or down. What a mess that was. I would not recommend it.

Also it is technically possible to see who voted for you, but we are not going to show it for the time being.

That sounds like a good decision.

It makes sense to not show the negative votes, that would not end well.
It sounds like a good idea, though, to show positive votes.
My website: http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/electronics/home.html Up and running now! (Feel free to look round!) :D

lesto

It sounds like a good idea, though, to show positive votes.

and for what post... maybe someone have many + but just because it's a good clown in off-topic...
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

Bobnova

Personally I've never liked the karma bit, I've never seen it be a useful thing and I've often seen it degrade into an absolute disaster.
That goes double for negative karma (public or not).

mowcius

Grumpy mike overtook me in - karma

Oh dear... What is the world coming to.

Torxed

As a newbie myself both on this forum and to the whole developing hardware gadgets..
I actually think that both good and bad karma is a valid idea and it would actually help a lot in terms of determining who gives the best advice and who fries circuits :)

I know that good karma will depend on the amount of good "helpl" a user have  given and that it can't souly be determned on the number of posts a user has done since 99% of the posts might be "chill & relax" posts and not actual advices.

But if a guy or girl have loads of negative karma i  can assume that that person  fries  circuits all day long or he/she is just a troll on yet another forum..

Good karma is enough, BUT negative karma can be justified :)

logic

One thing I didn't mention in my earlier post: to me, karma doesn't really make sense in "community" areas. At least where I've seen it done well, reputation was meant to serve as a means of encouraging users to help others constructively in a way that was specific to the mission of the site (in their case, automotive modification; in our case, Arduinos and electronics hacking). The idea of "reputation", either negative or positive, in the community/bar-sport/etc. areas of the forum doesn't really serve that goal: notice the quantity of negative karma being handed out just in this thread, probably because of personal disagreements rather than belief that the receiver is being unhelpful (again, see my previous point about negative reputation encouraging poor behavior in users).

I guess where I'm going with this is: what goal does reputation/karma achieve? Where I've seen it done poorly, there was usually a non-existent answer to that question. If you can't clearly define what it is that a reputation system gives you, you have no idea how best to implement it, how to handle edge cases, or how it will affect the behavior of the users.

Where I've seen it done well, there was a terse, focused answer to that question, typically along the lines of "it provides encouragement to knowledgeable users to share their expertise, and provides reassurance to the questioner that the person has been more helpful than not in the past". Assuming that's the goal, providing a "+"/"Like"/"good post" button to end-users, solely in the technical forums, is probably sufficient (while allowing moderators to reduce reputation based on antisocial behavior as an intermediate step before more harsh responses if desired). Giving end-users a simple "negative"/"bad post" button without any accountability means they'll use it without thinking, which isn't what you want; giving them a "report to moderator" button (like we already have), which implies that a human being will be looking at it, empowers people to report problems, but it also adds accountability. (And, presumably, the moderating staff can be trusted to behave in an appropriate manner, or they wouldn't have been selected for the role. ;))

Representing it as a number also just turns it into a game; I'd be inclined to obscure the actual number into broader categories (stars, a bar graph, etc), rather than as the actual count of people who have clicked on "nice post". But that's just fine-tuning.

(If it sounds like I'm just describing how another site does it, you'd be right; it took them the better part of a decade to fine-tune their system to the point where it now works effectively, while struggling with the issue of an exploding number of users. There's value in learning from the mistakes of others.)

Anyway, my posts have been pretty long-winded, so I'll hush up now. :)
-Ed
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

cjands40

After reading this entire thread (snowed-in in Dallas which some say is due to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' karma) it seems obvious to me that regardless of the decision on positive karma, all negative karma should go to mowcius  ]:)

Sparks

10 Points for Gryffindor!!!

graymalkin

With ref. to abuse: a person who posts a lot is more likely to be targeted by one guy for a joke, because they make them selves easy to spot.  BUT if you post lots of good stuff then it is hugely outweighed by the bad that one person can cause (eg 100 people randomly giving you karma outweighs 1 guy maliciously giving bad)

To solve it further could there be a time based limit on how much bad karma one user can give another user?

zoomkat

Hmmm...

The karma thing will be an additional suppliment for the traditional forum newbie beatdown. When the newbie won't post code, won't answer request for additional info, keeps asking bumb questions and such, instead of having to post something to embarrass the newbie (and identifying yourself), now the newbie can be anonymously clicked into bad karma hell to get his mind right. Who do they think they are!

"If doctors ever tell you that you've "flipped out," don't believe them, and just keep on doing what you were doing, because something tells me "the Man" is behind this." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

mowcius

After reading this entire thread (snowed-in in Dallas which some say is due to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' karma) it seems obvious to me that regardless of the decision on positive karma, all negative karma should go to mowcius  ]:)

:D Grrrr

westfw

Look at the bright side; negative Karma doesn't subtract from positive Karma (which would be much more abuse-prone.)  The most likely outcome is that the negative Karma value will become a pretty meaningless indicator of how much a particular individual is "teased"...

Go Up