Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase (January 27, 2011 to August 19, 2011)  (Read 37779 times)
SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I wasn't aware that washing your electronics gadgets was common practice
Depending on the flux used when soldering, you may have to clean off all the residue by ... washing.  (The current trend is water-soluble fluxes, so you can wash with water rather than nasty solvents.)  This is actually a substantial problem for electromechanical parts and such that might be prone to trapping water within their mechanisms, so special stickers like the one you see here are used to keep them "watertight enough" during the wash phase to avoid any problems.  (another way to avoid problems is to solder in the sensitive components with different solder, AFTER the rest of the board has been washed.  This would be a separate assembly step and cost big bucks in an otherwise automated manufacturing flow.)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

"Remove seal after washing".
I found one of those on a buzzercomponent, too. I think it is for the fluxremoval "wash".

I carefully put that sticker on the company laptop power on/off button. Every now then a colleague notices it, looks closely at it - then gives me a looong look smiley-wink  Especially fun when having to present the laptop to the HotDesk - with strict instructions not to remove it, so I can wash the laptop later. smiley

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

So when they told me to "ignore it" what they really meant was "you can remove it now, it's been through the wash"?

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

I carefully put that sticker on the company laptop power on/off button. Every now then a colleague notices it, looks closely at it - then gives me a looong look smiley-wink  Especially fun when having to present the laptop to the HotDesk - with strict instructions not to remove it, so I can wash the laptop later. smiley
HotDesk... reminds me of my day today... We are getting a new server at work, and they started yesterday... This morning at 5AM I came to work... and then was presented by a log in screen, where none of the normally used passwords worked, and no one to call, because it was so early...

So apparently what they did, was to fix most of the things, then lock everything down with a password, without setting up any of the users, and then go home...

Just awesome... Starting early in an attempt to get more work done, then not be able to access anything. At the same time, when we finally got a code for it, the programs weren't working and some to send programs between the machines and server was missing...

Finally got all that working, and an electrician then showed up, because he was ordered to change the wifi on our cnc lathes to a cabled connection instead, so we could one again stop making something on them...

So the cables got pulled and connected, wifi access point was ripped off the wall and thrown on the floor, because it was not to be used again anyways.... And they then realized that the cabled connection didn't work...

Ended up with me reviving the wifi access point, finding the serial to lan adabter's ip addresses in the machines, and then configuring them to something new for the cabled connection. And then re-configuring the programs to send and receive the programs from the machines, and THEN, after testing all the machines communication capabilities, throwing the access point away...

And that was just done while doing my normal job. What a day, hope tomorrow will be better... Haven't had anything but problems today...

Back on topic
Got one of these today

(next problem is that I need to put a 8 digit code in to sync it, and I for some reason are only getting 3 seconds to type them and hit enter before getting disconnected)

captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Got one of these today
(next problem is that I need to put a 8 digit code in to sync it, and I for some reason are only getting 3 seconds to type them and hit enter before getting disconnected)

What kind of range are you getting with it? I had a HTPC at one time, with a mini RF USB keyboard that had handles on the sides and a thumbstick for the mouse; I could easily get 30 feet (~9 meters) of range with it - far enough to sit on the couch and browse the internet or play a game or two. The thing I found with most other wireless keyboards is that the range only goes out to 6 feet (~1.8 meters) if you're lucky - plus most didn't have a good mouse control (or used a separate mouse). I still think I'll stick with my keyboard, though. I like the larger size (I can only type so long on my G1's keyboard, which is only slightly smaller than the Chill's, it looks like), and the analog thumbstick mouse works better for look around/aiming on FPS games than a pad would.

Looks like an interesting product, though!

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Got it working! And easily getting 7 meters... haven't tested longer... It is using Bluetooth instead of rf, so I hope the range and connection will be more reliable.

And didn't get this to actually use it as a keyboard, it is mostly to just open xbmc, and maybe restart apache or something else running on it.

And apparently got a li-po battery and is charged over usb smiley-grin

Boston Suburbs
God Member
I am above your silly so-called "Laws", Mister Ohm.
View Profile

Not really a purchase, but a pull-out-of-the-basement-cuz-I-have-a-need-for-it :

My workhorse Power Supply -  A Toshiba rackmount salvaged from a Telco system.  

Individual breakers plus the main breaker.. power is FLAT, the ripple is practically nonexistent.  I have never seen any appreciable voltage droop under load.. understandable for the equipment it was powering.  I've had very few projects that this beast couldn't feed.  I've also got the Bus Capacitors the backplane used, HUGE beercan jobbies.  The power supply weighs a good 15 pounds.

Don't know what they sell for, but I'm sure it would not be cheap!  I've decided to mount it on the underside of my desk, and then add a panel with switches for each voltage and binding posts.  Until I do that, I'm mainly just interested in clean +12v and +5v, and maybe -12v.  Pretty decent current capacity all the way across, too.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:09:07 am by focalist » Logged

When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Don't know what they sell for, but I'm sure it would not be cheap!

I have old rack-mount Kepco variable supplies at work. They each weight a ton and were probably thousands of $USD. I am guessing the same order of magnitude for yours. Anything you mount on a rack is meant for serious business. The rack is like executive parking privilege. You can't park my Taurus in one of those spots smiley-wink

California
That's me, the boy with the broken halo.
View Profile

What's the difference between a power supply and a universal power supply?  That Toshiba looks a lot like the backup power supplies (we called them UPS) for the gear I used to use when I was in the military.  Almost had a flash back of the bad old days smiley-wink

Arlington, MA, USA
View Profile

The U in UPS you're referring to stands for Uninterruptible, which essentially means it's a big batter with some form of inverter, useful for when you lose power. Sometimes Universal w.r.t. power supplies means 110/220 VAC 50/60 Hz.

Boston Suburbs
God Member
View Profile

It was a find from when I was working at a cardiac lab in the early 90's... the company upstairs in the building (think it was a sales outfit or something) went out of business and they had the office equipment from the place rolled out by the dumpsters.  I still smoked at the time, and so while lab tests were loading, I'd take my screwdriver and such and toss a few odds and ends into my car.  I had the blessing of Security, they only cared that I didn't hurt myself and sue them.  That P/S was in a rack along with the remnants of some type of telephone switching system.  

I am always on the lookout for Tech Junk.  Many times, I'll strip something for what I know I will want, and the rest goes into the dumpster behind a local grocery store.  Other times, a simple fix makes a find into a working item-- the monitor I am using right now, a 20" NEC Multisync LCD, simply had a broken prong on the power connector.  Ripped one out of a PC power supply from the rack, and it's an awesome monitor with SUPERB color rendition.. just the ticket for doing Photographic work where color balance is important...

When I bought my house, one of the features that got me was the basement and the shop.  Though he had his own hobbies, the previous owner had left me with a perfect setup... a 20x10 room with workbenches and power strips on two walls, GCFI 40A 220v x2 (they had a kiln and a lathe), the power feeds on the bench are three different breakers at 20A each.  This is just my shop area.  I'm ashamed of how little of that capacity I really use--  though I can't live without my drill press, dremel, and vise table.  All the walls are either pegboard or shelving floor to ceiling.. some of the shelving as wide as 48" widex30" deep, underframed with 2x4's.  God love the dude, he did it right smiley-wink
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:33:56 pm by focalist » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Makes me miss my electronics dumpster, man. Taught me all sorts of computer systems and started my cpu collections. I even got 3 PIII-667 with serial numbers all in sequence from that dumpster.

Boston Suburbs
God Member
View Profile

Bottom trolling, I almost feel bad about the two buys I made today:

(3) DC Boarduino kits ............ $10 shipped!!  (that's total, not each- and includes the 328's)
(sorry, there's no more listed by the guy, I'll let everyone know if he tosses more of THOSE up!)

(10) 250mw ~800nm laser diodes.  This is a bit of a risk, but read on if interested.. guy bought a pack of 100 of these from some outfit by mistake.  He got them in bulk with some kind of assurance that there WERE some known bad ones in the lot, but that "85% of them are perfect".  I bought a lot of ten, he's selling them that way with the explanation that he wants to know that the buyer is getting at least five good ones, and might get lucky and have more or all of them be 100% fine.  He's got no way or desire to test them.  The guy is selling them like that because he doesn't want to endanger his "star rating", not worth losing reputation over, etc.  I could be totally throwing away money on this one, but we're only talking about ten bucks.  Be very afraid, I potentially have 2.5w of Near Infrared lasers showing up by the beginning of next week.  If I cook one or two using the Ghetto-style LM317 current source, that's okay, at this price..

So, I bounced him a note explaining I tinker with electronics, and there are others here that would probably be interested if he were to sell them in lots of two and just send them via regular mail.  He's in the USA.  I tossed it out that folks here might snap them up, and are experienced enough to Caveat their own doggone Emptor if the price is right smiley-wink   I'll let y'all know if he'd want to do it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170658918448&si=fwcctNOCDJJOY8O16fnjhCvfmqw%253D&viewitem=

[UPDATE] He's emailed back, and will be tossing them up again on ebay in groups of ten like the one I got.  At a little over a buck each shipped, it's your risk to take..

(By the way, the dude with the Nematrons backed out of the sale.. ah well, it WAS to good to be true.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:58:44 pm by focalist » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Recently picked up two working Logitech Orbit AF USB cameras for $25.00 off ebay...

Do dreams count? Last night I had a dream that I was in a Goodwill (maybe I shop there a wee too much) and found a box full of R/C airplane props (like the kind you'd mount on glow engines), most of them were still in plastic baggies. Like over 100 in the box. The price on the box was $5.00!!!

Then I woke up - darn.

smiley-sad

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

1x WiFi PT IP camera
1x Wired PAL camera with IR night vision
1x IR thermometer
2x Blue tape for my 3D printer
8x Linear bearings for my 3D printer
1x Arduino 1280 (my 2560 is a bitch)