Go Down

Topic: Issue with Arduino + NRF24L01 + Raspberry when current in home goes "low" (Read 201 times) previous topic - next topic

sineverba

Hi to all,
I have some issues in home power. I live in Italy and base voltage is 220V.
When I use a big load, as washer dinner, washing machine or electric oven, voltage goes from 220/221V to 210V (sigh).

Home is not mine, I live in rent.

PC, Tv and Raspberry are feeded via UPS, that reacts very well to this voltage peak. Arduino is connected and powered via USB from the PI itself, and Arduino has NRF24L01 connected, trasmitting with other (battery) powered Atmega.

The trouble is that sometimes this peaks render the Arduino (original R1) instable, and I need to restart the PI+Arduino itself or wait for the big user ending.  :smiley-confuse:

Is there something that I can do (other than ask to the owner to call his technicians)? I think to know also the issues. The watt meter is distant from the home (about 100 meters) and the cables are not so-big, from meter to the home itself. But it is not my home, cannot act directyle.

Thank you very much!

edgemoron

How low do these "dips" go, how long do they last and how frequently do they occur?
I would use a separate 5V supply for Arduino, the Pi power supply may not stand the strain during a mains dip.

sineverba

From 221/222V (read from UPS Display) to 208/210V...

Oh, I did forget that need the USB connection 'cause Arduino send/receive with pi via serial...

edgemoron

Well, that's only a 6% sag, your PI should be able to ride through that if it's not too long, (you didn't say), if your PI is a "3" they need more power than the earlier models, I've seen 2.5 + Amps recommended.

TomGeorge

Hi,
You are powering a UNO and NRF from a PI USB ?
Then the PI from  PC USB.

Get the UNO and NRF to their own supply, I'd say the PC USB is possibly failing.
How old is the PC?

You need one of these if you are going to daisy chain USBs.

To check USB current.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

sineverba

Well, that's only a 6% sag, your PI should be able to ride through that if it's not too long, (you didn't say), if your PI is a "3" they need more power than the earlier models, I've seen 2.5 + Amps recommended.
Oh, can be also 1 hour (disher washer for example). I don't think the issue is PI (it respond to putty, for example), I think it's the 'duino...

Hi,
You are powering a UNO and NRF from a PI USB ?
Then the PI from  PC USB.

Get the UNO and NRF to their own supply, I'd say the PC USB is possibly failing.
How old is the PC?

You need one of these if you are going to daisy chain USBs.

To check USB current.

Tom.. :)

No, no from PC. From a Samsung charger (2A 5V) behind a UPS...

TomGeorge

Hi,

1) Does this happen when the dishwasher switches ON?

2) Can you reset the UNO etc during this approx 1hr of lower mains and it will operate correctly?

It may be 5V at the charger, but what voltage is it at the UNO after going through the Pi.
Don't forget the UNO is supplying the NRF.

3) How have you got the 3.3V configured for the NRF, which NRF is it?

4) Have you measured the 3.3V to see how stable it is?

5) How much current is the 5V charger supplying?

6) Have you measured the 5V supplies at the Pi, UNO and the 3.3V when your power drops.

7) What periferals have you got hanging off the  Pi and the UNO?

8.) What is your UPS?

You may need a UPS that has a boost/conditioning function, that is its output is set  at 220Vac and the inverter in it keeps the output at 220Vac no matter what the input level is.

On startup of the dishwasher your mains may be instantly dropping well below 220Vac before settling at 210Vac.

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout please?

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

I know its a lot, but we are in troubleshooting mode. :o

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

MrMark

When I use a big load, as washer dinner, washing machine or electric oven, voltage goes from 220/221V to 210V (sigh).
How are you determining the voltage drop to 210V?  It seems unlikely that such a minor shift in the input voltage level would have any effect at all on the output of a AC to USB power converter.  Either the dip in voltage is a lot more than you think or there is some other mechanism that is causing the Arduino to hang.

In any case, I'd try using a different AC to USB converter as a potential work around for this issue.

sineverba

First of all, thank you for your support. I want say that worst case is the electric oven. It surely render voltage very low for a long period (20/30 min at 180°).

The dishwasher luckily use resistor to 60°C for 10/15 minutes. And washing machine seems very difficult to cause issues (9 times of 10 we use low power program for clothes).

When I use electric coffe machine, the lights on home flickering.

Hi,

1) Does this happen when the dishwasher switches ON?

Yes, when it heat the water at 60°C. Drop from 220V to 210V and "click" on the UPS

2) Can you reset the UNO etc during this approx 1hr of lower mains and it will operate correctly?

Yes

It may be 5V at the charger, but what voltage is it at the UNO after going through the Pi.
Don't forget the UNO is supplying the NRF.

3) How have you got the 3.3V configured for the NRF, which NRF is it? From 3.3v itself UNO

4) Have you measured the 3.3V to see how stable it is? NO

5) How much current is the 5V charger supplying? 2A

6) Have you measured the 5V supplies at the Pi, UNO and the 3.3V when your power drops. NO

7) What periferals have you got hanging off the  Pi and the UNO?  I did not understand

8.) What is your UPS? Powerwalker 600VA

You may need a UPS that has a boost/conditioning function, that is its output is set  at 220Vac and the inverter in it keeps the output at 220Vac no matter what the input level is. > It boost the voltage. I read on display 210 IN > 220 OUT. Normal condition 224 IN > 224 OUT

On startup of the dishwasher your mains may be instantly dropping well below 220Vac before settling at 210Vac. > It is possible...

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout please?

Sure... it's very normal project..... NRF with dupont from UNO. Uno power from USB of PI (I need for serial communication). Power PI from Samsung 5V/2A. Power for Samsung from UPS. Power for UPS from main :)

UPS mantain PC (24'' Led HD, I36100, SSD, 3xhd RED WD, gtx750ti) + router + PI/UNO. PC is low consuming.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

I know its a lot, but we are in troubleshooting mode. :o

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

Go Up