Go Down

Topic: Powering Adafruit Neopixel and Arduino with Same Power Source  (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic

Edcastillo09

Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research on how I can power adafruit Neopixel strips and an Arduino with the same power source but no luck.

I know the following specs:

Adafruit Neopixels Power Requirements for 140 LEDs:
-5VDC 8.4amp max, 4.2 amp min

Arduino Power Requirements:
-7-12 VDC 2amps

I am going to create an enclosed LED display and would like a power cord from the wall to a male receptacle on the display to power the LEDs and Arduino. I'd have a power toggle switch to turn the display on and off. I know I can purchase a 115/120 VAC to 5VDC 10amp converter with screw terminals but how do I do I go about getting my 9-12VDC 2amp source for my Arduino? I know there are boost converters out there but I'm worried about the amps.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Eddie

Wawa

Which Arduino. The Mega from you spectrum analyser?
The 5volt LED supply can be connected directly to the 5volt pin of the Mega.
Make sure you remove that link before you connect the Mega's USB to a PC/laptop.
Leo..

allanhurst

2 amps for an arduino?? a few tens of mA is usual.

Allan

Edcastillo09

Which Arduino. The Mega from you spectrum analyser?
The 5volt LED supply can be connected directly to the 5volt pin of the Mega.
Make sure you remove that link before you connect the Mega's USB to a PC/laptop.
Leo..
No this is for a smaller but similar project. It's about half the size and I'm going to recreate what I did but make it more professional looking by having everything enclosed in a case.

I would probably end up maybe using the Zero or something that can drive 140 LEDs at a good rate. Any recommendation? The Mega worked well but is there anything smaller? Not sure if I can use the uno. My code was pretty long.

About the 5V from the Arduino to the LEDS...I don't think that pin can supply maximum 8.4 amp can it? I doubt it...

Wawa

Your latest posted sketch fits in a Nano.
A Zero is a 3.3volt processor. You might run into other issues.
Don't run LED current through an Arduino.
Split the supply wires, and run thick wires to the LEDs (several places).
The Arduino only needs thin wires.
Leo..

Grumpy_Mike

something that can drive 140 LEDs at a good rate
The rate the Neopixels need to be fed with data is fixed, you can not increase it or they will not work. All a faster processor will do for you is reduce the time it takes to change the LEDs on each refresh.

Go Up