Go Down

Topic: displaying sensor readings with the nokia 5110 (Read 2251 times) previous topic - next topic

beer lover

Hello
I want to be able to display a few values on the nokia 5110 from sparkfun http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10168

I have been able to get the example sketch working from
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/PCD8544

I just don't understand how I print values from my sensors?
I understand that this uses the same driver as the 3110
I tried using the 3310 library but I cannot get anything to display
Any suggestions?

jaz neeraj

its very simple actually......

http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

go to this link and download their pdf which gaves about the pin outs of their product.Then connect the display with the arduino as per their pin outs and use their software library...

i have done this...
i think gaving this display 10$ is very expensive.So try to buy the display of 3310 from the mobile maintenance shop....
--------------

beer lover

I hooked it up according to this file

#ifdef PB1
#define LCD_RST PB1
#define SPI_CS  PB2
#define SPI_MOSI PB3
#define SPI_SCK PB5
#define LCD_DC  PB0
#define LCD_BL  PD7
#else
#define LCD_RST PORTB1
#define SPI_CS  PORTB2
#define SPI_MOSI PORTB3
#define SPI_SCK PORTB5
#define LCD_DC  PORTB0
#define LCD_BL  PORTD7
#endif

It doesnt want to work for me still. Using another example I can get the hello world but don't understand how to use that to display sensor data

compuslave

Hi guys, new to the board and this is my first post.

I kinda sorta maybe just a little bit have the same problem, not exactly, though. I do indeed have the nokia 5110 from SparkFun and I would like to display a number representing some input from a sensor. At first I only want to use a hall sensor since the documentation for these are fairly abundant and straightforward. I would like the value to be a float, if that's possible. I'm brand new to Arduino and barely self taught in electronics. I'm not building this right away as I'm still trying to read all I will need to know to make it happen. Simply put, I want to have the lcd display a float variable based on input from a hall sensor or, ultimately, a read/write head from a salvaged hdd. If you guys could rate such a project's difficulty on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being like troubleshooting the large hadron collider and 1 being like hooking a led to a battery, where would it fall?

I'm not afraid to read, so links to docs help a lot. I have searched around a bit but find it a bit overwhelming to wade through what I need versus what I don't. Would you guys be agreeable to helping me build such a thing? 

Maybe my question isn't so different from op's, but I think I'm looking for a more general answer about how this is done.

Thanks in advance and peace!
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so screw em'

transfinite

This should be about a 3.  Just break the problem into small steps. 

First make the sensor work from the serial port.  Once you are getting good results, then send "Hello World" to the Nokia display.  After successfully completing these steps, printing floating point values on the Nokia is just one more step.

Here is a procedure I found for converting floats with 2 places after the decimal point to a character string, suitable for printing on an LCD or LED display.

Code: [Select]

char msg[6]; // msg must be large enough to hold the entire float + decimal

// Converts float to ints, and copies to msg for putting on the air

void sensorMsg (double value) {
  int t100 = 100 * value;
  int tWhole = t100 / 100;
  int tFract = t100 % 100;
  sprintf(msg, "%d.%d", tWhole, tFract < 10 ? 0 : tFract);
}

-transfinite

Go Up