Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Future Moments: Times have changed  (Read 5006 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My step-mother uses an old apple for her accounts and diligently backs up her work onto a zip disc.  I've pointed out a couple of times that if the machine fails she'll have some difficulty finding anyone with a zip drive to restore her archive from.
What you don't realize is, as the tech guy, it is your responsibility to get on eBay, buy a zip drive, and load her backups
Yeah I know that one smiley-grin

Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile

My step-mother uses an old apple for her accounts and diligently backs up her work onto a zip disc.  I've pointed out a couple of times that if the machine fails she'll have some difficulty finding anyone with a zip drive to restore her archive from.

What you don't realize is, as the tech guy, it is your responsibility to get on eBay, buy a zip drive, and load her backups

Already got one smiley-grin
I haven't told her though, I'd rather she upgraded, but I'm not completely daft.

While I'm here, I'll also comment on "BACKING UP TO MEDIA THAT HAS THE SAME RELIABILITY AS THE MEDIA YOU ARE BACKING UP IS NOT A BACK UP".  A few years ago I had a 60GB un-backed up drive die on me.  Since it was full of personal stuff I looked around the office (family business, had my PC there and it was full of bits and pieces of computers) and found another 60GB drive to try and rescue the dead one on to.  A day or so later and I'd got pretty much all my data onto the second 60GB drive. "Phew!" I thought, "that was a close one!"
The next day this second drive died on me.  A bit upset at my bad luck I had a look around the office and found a third 60GB drive and set about the rather grueling task of rescuing all my data again.

A couple of days later and the third drive dies on me.  I rip it out of my PC and chuck it in a box with the other two... then I notice that they look the same.  I have a closer look and discover that they are indeed all 60GB IBM DeskStars with sequential serial numbers.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have a closer look and discover that they are indeed all 60GB IBM DeskStars with sequential serial numbers.
Bahaha smiley-grin

field road, jupiter creek
Arduino rocks
View Profile

LOL
:-)

Don't throw dives like that out!

They have 15A FETS on the board!

IFR?? devices, like 8mm square, if that, and can switch 15A!

Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile

Don't throw dives like that out!

They have 15A FETS on the board!

IFR?? devices, like 8mm square, if that, and can switch 15A!

I don't think I've thrown a drive out in my life! I've got some sub 1GB drives knocking around somewhere.  I used to run light linux installs for specific applications (like linux router project, a NAS, etc etc) and small discs sometimes come in handy.

field road, jupiter creek
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Actually I meant the dead IBM drives!
Coz I got a stack of those as well!!

On my DX4 I have this kick ass MF card, it's got SCSI, IDE, 4 x RS232, 2 x parallel and 2 joystick ports.
One night my friend came over and I was trying to install Debian Potato on 7 SCSI drives, none of them bigger than 100M, that I had RAID5'd!

He went home and bought back an 800Meg!

I still used a single 100M SCSI for swap, I always use a dedicated swap drive, SCSI or IDE, makes things so fast!

I finally went to Sarge on that SX4, coz it had the "you beaut" VLB driver that (finally) took advantage of the 70M/sec bandwith of the VLB bus.

For added "blast from the past" factor, that DX4 lives in a Hewlette - Packard Apollo case, complete with 800W PSU.

And if you see the Apollo mainboard, which I still have, you will understand why it needed an 800W PSU!
40MHz 68040 with FPU and a whole bunch of 74HCxx series chips, at least a 100!
Not a PLA of any kind!
Bummer it only ran DomainOS, at the time it was REALLY fast!

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

hehe I actually got a 128 gb (i think it is that size) IBM deskstar, and I had it for many years. I even had it in a server for a few years where it ran 24/7. And it is still working, not using it any longer though.

But as backup I got my htpc. I have installed gbridge on all my computers, and added a backup task on my htpc, so when any of my computers come online, or even my parents starts their laptop and logs on the internet 100 km away, they all syncronize with my htpc. Every night around midnight, my htpc then uploads the new data to mozy. So I think I am pretty secure smiley

captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: