Go Down

Topic: I am using arduino in my 300-level electronics class (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

liudr

In a private message, send me your personal email.Communicating via the forum is a little difficult.

amcduino

Yeah agreed. Just did it a moment ago.

Valalvax

When you mention sorting resistors, you mean you threw a bunch of random resistors on their table and they sorted them? Or they made some sort of automatic sorter? Doubt it was an automatic one because you mentioned that they wouldn't be able to do 12 pins for a LCD

liudr

I have a box of random resistors. They have existed like that before I started my job so maybe students left them there? My students construct a voltage divider can calculate resistance in arduino and display the value on an LCD. They're learning color code and using multimeters at the same time.

Valalvax

I have a box of random resistors. They have existed like that before I started my job so maybe students left them there? My students construct a voltage divider can calculate resistance in arduino and display the value on an LCD. They're learning color code and using multimeters at the same time.

Ahhh ok, I just knew I'd been in a "new" class that had some really crappy work sometimes like sweeping the lab and sorting nuts and bolts

Terry King

Hello Luidr,

I'm very interested in what you're doing.  I hope we can connect in some way.

I am developing an Educational website, primarily for people just starting with Arduino, and assuming no electronics or programming background.  I constantly see people on sales sites and here who really don't know where to start.  I understand how your environment is different, and I've taught electronics and interfacing at SUNY and IBM (a while ago, now!). 

Your LCD shield looks great and I'll order a couple today.  I think it provides almost all needed I/O and function for a Camera Controller project I'm doing with people here in Saudi Arabia.  As compared to this: http://internationalschoolphotos.com/arduino-direct/camera-control.htm  (That's an old version of the site I'm developing).. 

Are the sketches for stuff like the Resistor Sorter available? In the first Workshop session for Newbies I did here last night, I gave everyone a small LCD Multimeter that I am able to get from my friend in China for about $3.  This is "Our immediate answer to the fact that Electricity Is Invisible!"..  So I like the idea of showing how to MAKE an ohmmeter, as part of the general approach of "Where do these things come from??" 

I lived in Shenzhen in China for two years but only this year have made real connections into the Arduino-Developing community there through my good friend Jun Peng. We are working on putting a website together to market low-cost Arduino stuff..

Also, are you familiar with or using Electronic Bricks and Sensor Shields, um, like these:
http://internationalschoolphotos.com/arduino-direct/ElectronicBricks1.htm
(Again this is an old site...)  We have finally tracked down the actual developer of these Bricks, AKA "FlamingoEDA" and he is a guy named Xiao. He is interested in developing sales into the Educational Market. Many of his bricks are sold by Seeedstudio.com who are also developing a competitive Brick system called GROVE.  Xiao is interested in collaborating on development of new Bricks.  He doesn't have much English but Peng is working with him, so we have good communications.

So, I'm very interested in keeping in touch on curriculum and approaches to teaching Arduino-based "Smart Electronics" at the Beginner and University level. I am at http://www.kaust.edu.sa/ in Saudi Arabia, but next year my wife has a great job in Genoa so we'll be headed to the Home Of Arduino on the Italian Riviera.  (I'm a 'retired' Engineer)...

Let me know how we might communicate and hopefully collaborate.

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

Go Up